What Happened In History Year 1877
Historical Events for the Year 1877
- 1st January » Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom is proclaimed Emperor of India or Empress of India.
- 8th January » Crazy Horse and his warriors fight their last battle against the Cavalry (United States) named United States Cavalry at Battle of Wolf Mountain or Wolf Mountain, Montana Territory.
- 20th January » Last day of the Constantinople Conference which resulted in agreement for political reforms in the Balkans.
- 22nd January » Arthur Tooth, an Anglicanism known as Anglican clergyman is taken into custody after being prosecuted for using Ritualism e.g ritualist practices.
- 2nd March » U.S. presidential election, 1876: Just two days before inauguration, the U.S. Congress declares Rutherford B. Hayes the winner of the election even though Samuel J. Tilden had won the popular vote on November 7, 1876.
- 15th March » First ever official cricket test match is played: Australia vs England at the MCG Stadium, in Melbourne, Australia.
- 31st March » The family with samurai antecedents that responded to the Saigō Takamori e.g Saigō army in Ōita Prefecture known as Ōita Nakatsu, rebels.
- 12th April » The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland called United Kingdom annexes the South African Republic or Transvaal.
- 24th April » Russo-Turkish War, 1877–1878 or Russo-Turkish War: Russian Empire declares war on Ottoman Empire.
- 3rd May » Labatt Park, the oldest continually operating baseball grounds in the world has its first game.
- 5th May » American Indian Wars: Sitting Bull leads his band of Lakota people known as Lakota into Canada to avoid harassment by the United States Army under Colonel (United States) e.g Colonel Nelson Miles.
- 6th May » Chief Crazy Horse of the Oglala Sioux surrenders to United States troops in Nebraska.
- 9th May » Mihail Kogălniceanu reads, in the Romanian Chamber of Deputies named Chamber of Deputies, the Declaration of Independence of Romania. This day became the Independence Day of Romania.
- 9th May » A 1877 Iquique earthquake named magnitude 8.8 earthquake off the coast of Peru kills 2,541, including some as far away as Hawaii and Japan.
- 16th May » 16 May 1877 crisis called May 1877 political crisis in France.
- 15th June » Henry Ossian Flipper becomes the first African American cadet to graduate from the United States Military Academy.
- 17th June » American Indian Wars: Battle of White Bird Canyon the Nez Perce people called Nez Perce defeat the Cavalry (United States) e.g U.S. Cavalry at White Bird Canyon in the Idaho Territory.
- 21st June » The Molly Maguires, ten Irish immigrants convicted of murder, are hanged at the Schuylkill County and Carbon County, Pennsylvania prisons.
- 9th July » The 1877 Wimbledon Championship known as inaugural The Championships, Wimbledon named Wimbledon Championships begins.
- 10th July » The then-villa of Mayagüez, Puerto Rico, formally receives its city charter from the Royal Crown of Spain.
- 14th July » The Great Railroad Strike of 1877 begins in Martinsburg, West Virginia, US, when Baltimore and Ohio Railroad workers have their wages cut for the second time in a year.
- 21st July » After rioting by Baltimore and Ohio Railroad workers and the Great Railroad Strike of 1877 deaths of nine rail workers at the hands of the Maryland militia, workers in Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania stage a Secondary action sympathy strike that is me
- 9th August » Indian Wars: Battle of Big Hole A small band of Nez Perce tribe called Nez Percé Indians clash with the United States Army
- 12th August » Asaph Hall discovers the Mars Natural satellite e.g moon Deimos (moon) or Deimos.
- 18th August » Asaph Hall discovers Mars e.g Martian moon Phobos (moon) known as Phobos.
- 5th September » American Indian Wars: Oglala Lakota called Oglala Sioux Tribal chief e.g chief Crazy Horse is bayoneted by a United States soldier after resisting confinement in a guardhouse at Fort Robinson in Nebraska.
- 24th September » Battle of Shiroyama, decisive victory of the Imperial Japanese Army over the Satsuma Rebellion
- 5th October » Chief Joseph surrenders his Nez Perce people called Nez Perce band to General Nelson A. Miles.
- 22nd October » The Blantyre mining disaster in Scotland kills 207 miners.
- 21st November » Thomas Edison announces his invention of the phonograph, a machine that can record and play sound.
- 29th November » Thomas Edison demonstrates his phonograph for the first time.
- 6th December » The first edition of the 'Washington Post' is published.
Historical events for the year 1877 by month