What Happened In History Year 1878
Historical Events for the Year 1878
- 4th January » Sofia is emancipated from Ottoman Empire or Ottoman rule.
- 9th January » Umberto I of Italy known as Umberto I becomes House of Savoy or King of Italy.
- 16th January » Russo-Turkish War (1877–1878) Battle of Philippopolis (1878) Battle of Philippopolis: Captain Aleksandr Burago with a Squadron (army) squadron of Russian Empire Russian Imperial army dragoons liberates Plovdiv from Ottoman Empire Ottoman rule.
- 24th January » The revolutionary Vera Zasulich shoots at Fyodor Trepov, the Governor of Saint Petersburg.
- 28th January » 'Yale Daily News' becomes the first daily Student newspaper named college newspaper in the United States.
- 18th February » John Tunstall is murdered by outlaw Jesse Evans (outlaw) called Jesse Evans, sparking the Lincoln County War in Lincoln County, New Mexico.
- 19th February » Thomas Edison patents the phonograph.
- 21st February » The first telephone book is issued in New Haven, Connecticut.
- 3rd March » The Russo-Turkish War (1877–78) or Russo-Turkish War ends as Bulgaria regains its independence from Ottoman Empire according to the Treaty of San Stefano; shortly after Congress of Berlin stripped its status to an autonomous state of the Ottoman Empire.
- 24th March » The British frigate HMS Eurydice 1843 6 sinks, killing more than 300.
- 4th June » Cyprus Convention: The Ottoman Empire cedes Cyprus to the United Kingdom but retains nominal title.
- 10th June » League of Prizren is established, to oppose the decisions of the Congress of Berlin and the Treaty of San Stephano, as a consequence of which the Albanian lands in Balkans were being partitioned and given to the neighbor states of Serbia, Montenegro, Bulg
- 15th June » Eadweard Muybridge takes Sallie Gardner at a Gallop known as a series of photographs to prove that all four feet of a horse leave the ground when it runs; the study becomes the basis of film called motion pictures.
- 1st July » Canada joins the Universal Postal Union.
- 4th July » Thoroughbred horses Ten Broeck and Mollie McCarty run a Ten Broeck - Mollie McCarty match race or match race, recalled in the song Molly and Tenbrooks.
- 5th July » The coat of arms of the Baku Governorate is established.
- 13th July » Treaty of Berlin (1878) or Treaty of Berlin: The European powers redraw the map of the Balkans. Serbia, Montenegro and Romania become completely independent of the Ottoman Empire.
- 3rd September » Over 640 die when the crowded pleasure boat SS Princess Alice 1865 2 collides with the 'Bywell Castle' in the River Thames.
- 15th October » The Edison Electric Light Company begins operation.
- 22nd October » The first rugby football rugby match under floodlights takes place in Salford, Greater Manchester Salford, between Broughton and Swinton Lions Swinton.
- 17th November » First assassination attempt against Umberto I of Italy by anarchist Giovanni Passannante, who was armed with a dagger. The King survived with a slight wound in an arm. Prime Minister of Italy named Prime Minister Benedetto Cairoli blocked the aggressor, r
- 18th December » John Kehoe, the last of the Molly Maguires is executed in Pennsylvania.
- 18th December » The House of Thani called Al-Thani family become the rulers of the state of Qatar
- 31st December » Karl Benz, working in Mannheim, Germany, filed for a patent on his first reliable Two-stroke engine e.g two-stroke gas engine, and he was granted the patent in 1879.
Historical events for the year 1878 by month