What Happened In July 1878 In History
Historical Events for July, 1878
- 1st » Canada joins the Universal Postal Union.
- 4th » Thoroughbred horses Ten Broeck and Mollie McCarty run a Ten Broeck - Mollie McCarty match race or match race, recalled in the song Molly and Tenbrooks.
- 5th » The coat of arms of the Baku Governorate is established.
- 13th » Treaty of Berlin (1878) or Treaty of Berlin: The European powers redraw the map of the Balkans. Serbia, Montenegro and Romania become completely independent of the Ottoman Empire.
Famous Birthdays on July in 1878
- 1st » Jacques Rosenbaum, Estonian-German architect (d. 1944)
- 3rd » George M. Cohan, American actor, singer, and dancer (d. 1942)
- 6th » Eino Leino, Finnish poet and journalist (d. 1926)
- 8th » Jimmy Quinn (footballer, born 1878) named Jimmy Quinn, Scottish footballer (d. 1945)
- 9th » Eduard Sõrmus, Estonian violinist (d. 1940)
- 12th » Peeter Põld, Estonian scientist and politician, 1st Estonian Minister of Education (d. 1930)
- 22nd » Janusz Korczak, Polish pediatrician and author (d. 1942)
- 24th » Edward Plunkett, 18th Baron of Dunsany, Irish author, poet, and playwright (d. 1957)
- 26th » Ernst Hoppenberg, German swimmer and water polo player (d. 1937)
- 29th » Don Marquis, American author, poet, and playwright (d. 1937)
Famous Deaths for July 1878
- 17th » Aleardo Aleardi, Italian poet (b. 1812)
- 19th » Yegor Ivanovich Zolotarev, Russian mathematician and academic (b. 1847)
- 21st » Sam Bass (outlaw) called Sam Bass, American criminal (b. 1851)
- 23rd » Carl von Rokitansky, Bohemian physician, pathologist, and politician (b. 1804)
- 28th » George Law Curry, American publisher and politician (b. 1820)
Year 1878 events in history for the month of July
Historical events for the year 1878 by month