What Happened In February 1879 In History
Historical Events for February, 1879
- 8th » Sandford Fleming first proposes adoption of Universal Standard Time at a meeting of the Royal Canadian Institute.
- 8th » The England cricket team led by George Harris, 4th Baron Harris e.g Lord Harris is Sydney Riot of 1879 named attacked during a riot during a match in Sydney.
- 14th » The War of the Pacific breaks out when Chilean armed forces occupy the Bolivian port city of Antofagasta.
- 22nd » In Utica, New York, Frank Woolworth opens the first of many of 5 and dime F.W. Woolworth Company named Woolworth stores.
Famous Birthdays on February in 1879
- 6th » Othon Friesz, French painter (d. 1949)
- 6th » Magnús Guðmundsson (politician) named Magnús Guðmundsson, Icelandic politician, 3rd Prime Minister of Iceland (d. 1937)
- 6th » Edwin Samuel Montagu, English politician, Secretary of State for India (d. 1924)
- 6th » Carl Ramsauer, German physicist (d. 1955)
- 10th » Ernst Põdder, Estonian general (d. 1932)
- 13th » Sarojini Naidu, Indian poet and activist (d. 1949)
- 20th » Hod Stuart, Canadian ice hockey player (d. 1907)
- 22nd » Johannes Nicolaus Brønsted, Danish chemist (d. 1947)
- 26th » Frank Bridge, English violist and composer (d. 1941)
- 27th » René Lefebvre, French businessman (d. 1944)
Famous Deaths for February 1879
- 23rd » Albrecht von Roon, Prussian soldier and politician, 10th Minister-President of Prussia (b. 1803)
- 24th » Shiranui Kōemon, Japanese sumo wrestler, the 11th Makuuchi Yokozuna called Yokozuna (b. 1825)
Year 1879 events in history for the month of February
Historical events for the year 1879 by month