What Happened In May 1901 In History
Historical Events for May, 1901
- 1st » The Pan-American Exposition opens in Buffalo, New York.
- 3rd » The Great Fire of 1901 begins in Jacksonville, Florida.
- 8th » The Australian Labor Party known as Australian Labour Party is established.
- 9th » Australia opens its first Australian Parliament e.g parliament in Melbourne.
- 24th » Seventy-eight miners die in the Caerphilly pit disaster in South Wales.
Famous Birthdays on May in 1901
- 1st » Sterling Allen Brown, American poet, academic, and critic (d. 1989)
- 1st » Heinz Eric Roemheld, American composer (d. 1985)
- 1st » Antal Szerb, Hungarian scholar and author (d. 1945)
- 3rd » Gino Cervi, Italian actor (d. 1974)
- 5th » Blind Willie McTell, American singer-songwriter and guitarist (d. 1959)
- 7th » Gary Cooper, American actor and singer (d. 1961)
- 8th » Turkey Stearnes, American baseball player (d. 1979)
- 10th » John Desmond Bernal, Irish-English crystallographer and physicist (d. 1971)
- 13th » Murilo Mendes, Brazilian poet (d. 1975)
- 14th » Robert Ritter, German psychologist and physician (d. 1951)
- 15th » Xavier Herbert, Australian author (d. 1984)
- 15th » Luis Monti, Argentinian-Italian footballer and manager (d. 1983)
- 17th » Werner Egk, German composer (d. 1983)
- 18th » Vincent du Vigneaud, American chemist, Nobel Prize in Chemistry called Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1978)
- 20th » Max Euwe, Dutch chess player, mathematician, and author (d. 1981)
- 21st » Manfred Aschner, German-Israeli microbiologist and entomologist (d. 1989)
- 21st » Horace Heidt, American pianist, bandleader, and radio host (d. 1986)
- 21st » Sam Jaffe (producer) named Sam Jaffe, American film producer and agent (d. 2000)
- 21st » Suzanne Lilar, Belgian author and playwright (d. 1992)
- 22nd » Maurice J. Tobin, American politician, 6th United States Secretary of Labor (d. 1953)
- 24th » José Nasazzi, Uruguayan footballer and manager (d. 1968)
- 30th » Alfred Karindi, Estonian pianist and composer (d. 1969)
- 30th » Cornelia Otis Skinner, American actress and author (d. 1979)
- 31st » Alfredo Antonini, Italian-American conductor and composer (d. 1983)
Famous Deaths for May 1901
- 4th » John Jones Ross, Canadian politician, 7th Premier of Quebec (b. 1831)
- 19th » Marthinus Wessel Pretorius, South African politician, 1st List of Presidents of the South African Republic e.g President of the South African Republic (b. 1819)
- 21st » Joseph Olivier (rugby union) or Joseph Olivier, French rugby player (b. 1874)
- 22nd » Gaetano Bresci, Italian-American anarchist, assassin of Umberto I of Italy (b. 1869)
- 24th » Louis-Zéphirin Moreau, Canadian bishop (b. 1824)
Year 1901 events in history for the month of May
Historical events for the year 1901 by month