What Happened In October 1901 In History
Historical Events for October, 1901
- 12th » President Theodore Roosevelt officially renames the "Executive Mansion" to the White House.
- 24th » Annie Edson Taylor becomes the first person to go over Niagara Falls, in a barrel.
- 29th » In Amherst, Massachusetts nurse Jane Toppan is arrested for murdering the Davis family of Boston with an overdose of morphine.
- 29th » Capital punishment: Leon Czolgosz, the assassin of U.S. President William McKinley, is executed by electrocution.
Famous Birthdays on October in 1901
- 2nd » Alice Prin, French singer, actress, and painter (d. 1953)
- 3rd » Jean Grémillon, French director, composer, and screenwriter (d. 1959)
- 5th » John Alton, Austrian-American director and cinematographer (d. 1996)
- 8th » Eivind Groven, Norwegian composer and theorist (d. 1977)
- 10th » Alberto Giacometti, Swiss sculptor and painter (d. 1966)
- 19th » Arleigh Burke, American admiral (d. 1996)
- 20th » Adelaide Hall, American-English singer, actress, and dancer (d. 1993)
- 24th » Gilda Gray, Polish-American actress, singer, and dancer (d. 1959)
- 24th » Hjalmar Mäe, Estonian politician (d. 1978)
- 28th » Eileen Shanahan, Irish poet (d. 1979)
Famous Deaths for October 1901
- 1st » Abdur Rahman Khan, Afghan emir (b. 1844)
- 10th » Lorenzo Snow, American religious leader, 5th President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (b. 1814)
- 19th » Carl Frederik Tietgen, Danish businessman and philanthropist, founded GN Store Nord (b. 1829)
- 29th » Leon Czolgosz, American assassin of William McKinley (b. 1873)
Year 1901 events in history for the month of October
Historical events for the year 1901 by month