What Happened On 20th May 1873 In History
May 20th (1873) was a Tuesday. It's the 140th day of the year (141st in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 225 days left to the end of the year.
Historical Events for 20th May, 1873
- » Levi Strauss and Jacob Davis (inventor) called Jacob Davis receive a U.S. patent for blue jeans with copper rivets.
May 20th Famous Deaths for 1873
- » George-Étienne Cartier, Canadian politician, 9th List of Joint Premiers of the Province of Canada e.g Premier of East Canada (b. 1814)
May 20th Holidays in History
- » Christian Calendar of saints known as Feast Day:
- » Abercius and Helena
- » Aurea of Ostia
- » Austregisilus
- » Baudilus
- » Bernardino of Siena
- » Ivo of Chartres
- » Lucifer of Cagliari
- » Saint Sanctan known as Sanctan
- » May 20 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- » The first First Council of Nicaea or Council of Nicaea, CE 325 (commemoration, Anglicanism)
- » Day of Remembrance (Cambodia)
- » Emancipation Day Florida or Emancipation Day (Florida)
- » European Maritime Day (European Council)
- » Independence Day, celebrates the independence of Cuba from the United States in 1902.
- » Independence Day, celebrates the independence of East Timor from Indonesia in 2002.
- » Indonesian National Awakening (Indonesia)
- » Josephine Baker Day - in 1951 the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) named May 20 Josephine Baker Day in honor of her efforts and fight against racism.
- » National Day (Cameroon) or National Day (Cameroon)
Year 1873 historical events for the month of May