What Happened In April 1873 In History
Historical Events for April, 1873
- 1st » The White Star Line called White Star steamer RMS known as Atlantic sinks off Nova Scotia, killing 547 in the worst marine disaster of the 19th century.
- 4th » The Kennel Club is founded, the oldest and first official registry of purebred dogs in the world.
- 13th » The Colfax massacre, in which more than 60 African Americans are murdered, takes place.
Famous Birthdays on April in 1873
- 1st » Sergei Rachmaninoff, Russian pianist, composer, and conductor (d. 1943)
- 7th » John McGraw, American baseball player and manager (d. 1934)
- 10th » Kyösti Kallio, Finnish politician, 4th President of Finland (d. 1940)
- 11th » Edward Lawson (VC) or Edward Lawson, English soldier, Victoria Cross recipient (d. 1955)
- 13th » John W. Davis, American lawyer and politician, 14th United States Solicitor General (d. 1955)
- 22nd » Ellen Glasgow, American author (d. 1945)
- 25th » Walter de la Mare, English poet and author (d. 1956)
Famous Deaths for April 1873
- 11th » Edward Canby, American general (b. 1817)
- 18th » Justus von Liebig, German chemist (b. 1803)
- 20th » William Tite, English architect, designed the Royal Exchange, London called Royal Exchange (b. 1798)
- 25th » Fyodor Petrovich Tolstoy, Russian painter (b. 1783)
- 27th » William Macready, English actor (b. 1793)
Year 1873 events in history for the month of April
Historical events for the year 1873 by month