What Happened On 20th May 1949 In History
May 20th (1949) was a Friday. It's the 140th day of the year (141st in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 225 days left to the end of the year.
Historical Events for 20th May, 1949
- » In the United States, the Armed Forces Security Agency, the predecessor to the National Security Agency, is established.
Famous Birthdays on May 20 in 1949
- » Robert Morin, Canadian director, cinematographer, and screenwriter
- » Mary Pope Osborne, American author
- » Michèle Roberts, English author and poet
- » Dave Thomas (actor) or Dave Thomas, Canadian actor, director, producer, and screenwriter
May 20th Famous Deaths for 1949
- » Archbishop Damaskinos of Athens (b. 1891)
May 20th Holidays in History
- » Christian Calendar of saints known as Feast Day:
- » Abercius and Helena
- » Aurea of Ostia
- » Austregisilus
- » Baudilus
- » Bernardino of Siena
- » Ivo of Chartres
- » Lucifer of Cagliari
- » Saint Sanctan known as Sanctan
- » May 20 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- » The first First Council of Nicaea or Council of Nicaea, CE 325 (commemoration, Anglicanism)
- » Day of Remembrance (Cambodia)
- » Emancipation Day Florida or Emancipation Day (Florida)
- » European Maritime Day (European Council)
- » Independence Day, celebrates the independence of Cuba from the United States in 1902.
- » Independence Day, celebrates the independence of East Timor from Indonesia in 2002.
- » Indonesian National Awakening (Indonesia)
- » Josephine Baker Day - in 1951 the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) named May 20 Josephine Baker Day in honor of her efforts and fight against racism.
- » National Day (Cameroon) or National Day (Cameroon)
Year 1949 historical events for the month of May