What Happened In History Year 1811
Historical Events for the Year 1811
- 8th January » 1811 German Coast Uprising An unsuccessful slave revolt is led by Charles Deslondes in St. Charles Parish, Louisiana St. Charles and St. James Parish, Louisiana St. James, Louisiana.
- 17th January » Mexican War of Independence: In the Battle of Calderón Bridge, a heavily outnumbered History of Spain (1814–73) named Spanish force of 6,000 troops defeats nearly 100,000 Mexican revolutionaries.
- 28th February » 'Cry of Asencio', beginning of the Uruguayan War of Independence
- 1st March » Leaders of the Mameluke dynasty are killed by Egyptian ruler Muhammad Ali of Egypt or Muhammad Ali.
- 2nd March » Argentine War of Independence: A Spanish Empire royalist fleet defeats a small flotilla of May Revolution revolutionary ships in the Battle of San Nicolás on the Río de la Plata River Plate.
- 5th March » Peninsular War: A French force under the command of Claude Victor-Perrin, Duc de Belluno named Marshal Victor is routed while trying to prevent an Anglo-Spanish-Portuguese army from lifting the Siege of Cádiz in the Battle of Barrosa.
- 9th March » Paraguayan forces defeat Manuel Belgrano at the Battle of Tacuarí.
- 12th March » Peninsular War: A day after a successful rear guard action, Marshal of France or French Marshal Michel Ney once again successfully delayed the pursuing Anglo-Portuguese force at the Battle of Redinha.
- 25th March » Percy Bysshe Shelley is expelled from the University of Oxford for publishing the pamphlet 'The Necessity of Atheism'.
- 14th May » Paraguay: Pedro Juan Caballero (politician) e.g Pedro Juan Caballero, Fulgencio Yegros and José Gaspar Rodríguez de Francia start actions to depose the Spanish governor
- 15th May » Paraguay declares independence from Spain.
- 16th May » Peninsular War: The allies Spain, Portugal and United Kingdom, defeat the French at the Battle of Albuera.
- 18th May » Battle of Las Piedras (1811) e.g Battle of Las Piedras: The first great military triumph of the revolution of the Río de la Plata in Uruguay led by José Artigas.
- 5th July » Venezuela declares independence from Spain.
- 9th July » Explorer David Thompson (explorer) David Thompson posts a sign at the confluence of the Columbia River Columbia and Snake Rivers (in modern Washington (state) Washington state, US), claiming the land for the United Kingdom.
- 30th July » Father Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla, leader of the Mexican War of Independence named Mexican insurgency, is executed by the Spanish in Chihuahua, Chihuahua, Mexico.
- 3rd August » First ascent of Jungfrau, third highest summit in the Bernese Alps by brothers Johann Rudolf and Hieronymus Meyer.
- 2nd September » The University of Oslo is founded as The Royal Fredericks University, after Frederick VI of Denmark and Norway.
- 1st October » The first steamboat to sail the Mississippi River arrives in New Orleans.
- 26th October » The Argentine government declare the freedom of expression for the press by decree.
- 5th November » Salvadoran priest José Matías Delgado, rang the bells of La Merced church in San Salvador, calling for insurrection and launching the 1811 Independence Movement.
- 17th November » José Miguel Carrera, Chilean founding father, is sworn in as President of the executive Junta of the government of Chile.
- 26th December » A Richmond Theatre fire e.g theater fire in Richmond, Virginia kills the Governor of Virginia George William Smith (politician) known as George William Smith and the president of the First National Bank of Virginia Abraham B. Venable.
Historical events for the year 1811 by month