What Happened In March 1811 In History
Historical Events for March, 1811
- 1st » Leaders of the Mameluke dynasty are killed by Egyptian ruler Muhammad Ali of Egypt or Muhammad Ali.
- 2nd » Argentine War of Independence: A Spanish Empire royalist fleet defeats a small flotilla of May Revolution revolutionary ships in the Battle of San Nicolás on the Río de la Plata River Plate.
- 5th » Peninsular War: A French force under the command of Claude Victor-Perrin, Duc de Belluno named Marshal Victor is routed while trying to prevent an Anglo-Spanish-Portuguese army from lifting the Siege of Cádiz in the Battle of Barrosa.
- 9th » Paraguayan forces defeat Manuel Belgrano at the Battle of Tacuarí.
- 12th » Peninsular War: A day after a successful rear guard action, Marshal of France or French Marshal Michel Ney once again successfully delayed the pursuing Anglo-Portuguese force at the Battle of Redinha.
- 25th » Percy Bysshe Shelley is expelled from the University of Oxford for publishing the pamphlet 'The Necessity of Atheism'.
Famous Birthdays on March in 1811
- 7th » Increase A. Lapham, American scientist and author (d. 1875)
- 11th » Urbain Le Verrier, French mathematician and astronomer (d. 1877)
- 20th » Napoleon II, French emperor (d. 1832)
- 20th » George Caleb Bingham, American painter (d. 1879)
- 21st » Nathaniel Woodard, English priest and educator (d. 1891)
- 27th » Charles Elliott (politician) named Charles Elliott, New Zealand politician (d. 1876)
- 28th » John Neumann, Czech-American bishop and saint (d. 1860)
- 30th » Robert Bunsen, German chemist (d. 1899)
Famous Deaths for March 1811
- 4th » Mariano Moreno, Argentinian journalist, lawyer, and politician (b. 1778)
- 14th » Augustus FitzRoy, 3rd Duke of Grafton, English politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (b. 1735)
Year 1811 events in history for the month of March
Historical events for the year 1811 by month