What Happened In January 1848 In History
Historical Events for January, 1848
- 3rd » Joseph Jenkins Roberts is sworn in as the first President of Liberia e.g president of the independent African Liberia.
- 12th » The Sicilian revolution of independence of 1848 or Palermo rising takes place in Sicily against the House of Bourbon known as Bourbon Kingdom of the Two Sicilies.
- 31st » John C. Frémont is Court-martialed for mutiny and disobeying orders.
Famous Birthdays on January in 1848
- 1st » John W. Goff, Irish lawyer and politician (d. 1924)
- 4th » Katsura Tarō, Japanese general and politician, 6th Prime Minister of Japan (d. 1913)
- 6th » Hristo Botev, Bulgarian poet (d. 1876)
- 9th » Princess Frederica of Hanover (d. 1926)
- 10th » Reinhold Sadler, American politician, 9th List of Governors of Nevada called Governor of Nevada (d. 1906)
- 19th » John Fitzwilliam Stairs, Canadian businessman and politician (d. 1904)
- 19th » Matthew Webb, English swimmer and diver (d. 1883)
- 21st » Henri Duparc (composer) called Henri Duparc, French composer (d. 1933)
- 24th » Vasily Surikov, Russian painter (d. 1916)
- 27th » Togo Heihachiro, Japanese admiral (d. 1934)
Famous Deaths for January 1848
- 9th » Caroline Herschel, German-English astronomer (b. 1750)
- 20th » Christian VIII of Denmark (b. 1786)
Year 1848 events in history for the month of January
Historical events for the year 1848 by month