What Happened In History Year 1849
Historical Events for the Year 1849
- 22nd January » Second Anglo-Sikh War: The Siege of Multan ends after nine months when the last Sikhism e.g Sikh defenders of Multan, Punjab region named Punjab, surrender.
- 31st January » Corn Laws are abolished in the United Kingdom pursuant to legislation in 1846.
- 9th February » Roman Republic (19th century) named New Roman Republic established
- 13th February » The delegation headed by Metropolitan bishop Andrei Şaguna hands out to the Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria the 'General Petition of Romanian leaders in Transylvania, Banat and Bukovina', which demands that the Romanians called Romanian nation be recogn
- 14th February » In New York City, James Knox Polk becomes the first serving President of the United States to have his photograph taken.
- 28th February » Regular steamboat service from the west to the east coast of the United States begins with the arrival of the SS California 1848 6 in San Francisco Bay, 4 months 22 days after leaving New York Harbor.
- 22nd March » The Austrian Empire Austrians defeat the Kingdom of Sardinia Piedmontese at the Battle of Novara (1849) Battle of Novara.
- 29th March » The United Kingdom annexes the Punjab region called Punjab.
- 13th April » Hungarian Revolution of 1848 e.g Hungary becomes a republic.
- 14th April » Hungary Hungarian Declaration of Independence known as declares itself independent of Austrian Empire called Austria with Lajos Kossuth as its leader.
- 3rd May » The May Uprising in Dresden begins the last of the The Revolutions of 1848 in the German states named German revolutions of 1848.
- 10th May » Astor Place Riot: A riot breaks out at the Astor Opera House in Manhattan, New York City over a dispute between actors Edwin Forrest and William Charles Macready, killing at least 25 and injuring over 120.
- 15th May » Troops of the Two Sicilies take Palermo and crush the republican government of Sicily
- 17th May » St. Louis Fire (1849) known as A large fire nearly burns St. Louis, Missouri to the ground.
- 27th May » The Great Hall of Euston railway station known as Euston station in London is opened.
- 5th June » Denmark becomes a constitutional monarchy by the signing of a new Constitution of Denmark named constitution.
- 3rd July » The French enter Rome in order to restore Pope Pius IX to power. This would prove a major obstacle to Italian unification.
- 16th July » Antonio María Claret y Clará founded the Congregation of the Missionary Sons of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, popularly known as the Claretians in Vic, in the province of Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain.
- 22nd August » The first airstrike known as air raid in history. Austria launches pilotless balloons against the city of Venice.
- 28th August » After a month-long siege, Venice, which had declared itself independent as the Republic of San Marco, surrenders to Austria.
- 17th September » American Abolitionism in the United States e.g abolitionist Harriet Tubman escapes from slavery.
- 3rd October » American author Edgar Allan Poe is found delirious in a gutter in Baltimore under mysterious circumstances; it is the last time he is seen in public before his Death of Edgar Allan Poe or death.
- 6th October » The execution of the 13 Martyrs of Arad after the Hungarian war of independence.
- 16th November » A Russian court sentences writer Fyodor Dostoevsky to death for anti-government activities linked to a radical intellectual group; his sentence is later commuted to hard labor.
Historical events for the year 1849 by month