What Happened In History Year 1850
Historical Events for the Year 1850
- 29th January » Henry Clay introduces the Compromise of 1850 to the Congress of the United States or U.S. Congress.
- 5th March » The Britannia Bridge across the Menai Strait between the Isle of Anglesey and the mainland of Wales is opened.
- 7th March » United States Senate named Senator Daniel Webster gives his "Seventh of March" speech endorsing the Compromise of 1850 in order to prevent a possible civil war.
- 18th March » American Express is founded by Henry Wells and William Fargo.
- 4th April » The Great Fire of Cottenham: a large part of the Cambridgeshire village (England) is burnt to the ground in suspicious circumstances.
- 4th April » Los Angeles, California, is incorporated as a city.
- 15th May » The Bloody Island Massacre takes place in Lake County, California, in which a large number of Pomo Indians in Lake County are slaughtered by a regiment of the United States Cavalry, led by Nathaniel Lyon.
- 19th June » Princess Louise of the Netherlands marries Charles XV of Sweden or Crown Prince Karl of Sweden–Norway.
- 29th June » Autocephaly officially granted by the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople to the Church of Greece.
- 9th July » U.S. President Zachary Taylor dies and Millard Fillmore succeeds him as 13th President of the United States.
- 9th July » Persian prophet Báb is executed in Tabriz, Iran named Persia.
- 10th July » Millard Fillmore is inaugurated as the 13th President of the United States upon the death of President Zachary Taylor, 16 months into his term.
- 9th September » California is admitted as the thirty-first U.S. state.
- 13th September » First ascent of Piz Bernina, the highest summit of the eastern Alps.
- 18th September » The United States Congress e.g U.S. Congress passes the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850.
- 29th September » The Roman Catholic hierarchy is re-established in England and Wales by Pope Pius IX.
- 24th November » Danish troops Battle of Lottorf known as defeat a Schleswig-Holstein force in the town of Lottorf, Schleswig-Holstein.
- 29th November » The treaty, Punctation of Olmütz, is signed in Olomouc. Prussia capitulates to Austrian Empire named Austria, which will take over the leadership of the German Confederation.
Historical events for the year 1850 by month