What Happened In September 1882 In History
Historical Events for September, 1882
- 4th » Thomas Edison flips the switch to the first commercial electrical power plant in history, lighting one square mile of lower Manhattan. This is considered by many as the day that began the electrical age.
- 5th » The first United States Labor Day parade is held in New York City.
- 13th » Anglo-Egyptian War (1882) called Anglo-Egyptian War: The Battle of Tel el-Kebir is fought.
- 18th » The Pacific Stock Exchange opens.
Famous Birthdays on September in 1882
- 3rd » Johnny Douglas, English cricketer and boxer (d. 1930)
- 9th » Clem McCarthy, American sportscaster (d. 1962)
- 13th » Ramón Grau, Cuban physician and politician, 6th President of Cuba (d. 1969)
- 19th » Christopher Stone (broadcaster) e.g Christopher Stone, English radio host (d. 1965)
- 21st » Geevarghese Mar Ivanios, Indian metropolitan (d. 1953)
- 22nd » Wilhelm Keitel, German field marshal (d. 1946)
- 24th » Max Decugis, French tennis player (d. 1978)
- 28th » Mart Saar, Estonian organist and composer (d. 1963)
- 30th » Hans Geiger, German physicist and academic (d. 1945)
Famous Deaths for September 1882
- 8th » Joseph Liouville, French mathematician and academic (b. 1809)
Year 1882 events in history for the month of September
Historical events for the year 1882 by month