What Happened In History Year 1882
Historical Events for the Year 1882
- 2nd March » Queen Victoria narrowly escapes an assassination attempt by Roderick McLean in Windsor.
- 6th March » The Kingdom of Serbia or Serbian kingdom is re-founded.
- 24th March » Robert Koch announces the discovery of 'Mycobacterium tuberculosis', the bacterium responsible for tuberculosis.
- 29th March » The Knights of Columbus are established.
- 3rd April » American Old West: Jesse James is killed by Robert Ford (outlaw) named Robert Ford.
- 25th April » Tonkin Campaign: French Third Republic French and Nguyễn Dynasty Vietnamese troops clashed in Tonkin, when Commandant Henri Rivière (naval officer) Henri Rivière Battle of Hanoi (1882) seized the citadel of Hanoi with a small force of marine infantry.
- 29th April » The "Elektromote" forerunner of the trolleybus is tested by Ernst Werner von Siemens in Berlin.
- 6th May » Thomas Henry Burke (civil servant) called Thomas Henry Burke and Lord Frederick Cavendish are stabbed and killed during the Phoenix Park Murders in Dublin.
- 6th May » The United States Congress passes the Chinese Exclusion Act.
- 20th May » The Triple Alliance (1882) named Triple Alliance between the German Empire, Austria-Hungary and the Kingdom of Italy is formed.
- 6th June » More than 100,000 inhabitants of Bombay are killed when a cyclone in the Arabian Sea pushes huge waves into the harbour.
- 6th June » The Shewan forces of Menelik II of Ethiopia defeat the Gojjame army in the Battle of Embabo. The Shewans capture Negus Tekle Haymanot of Gojjam, and their victory leads to a Shewan hegemony over the territories south of the Abay River.
- 28th June » The Anglo-French Convention of 1882 marks the territorial boundaries between Guinea and Sierra Leone.
- 30th June » Charles J. Guiteau is hanged in Washington, D.C. for the assassination of President of the United States or U.S. President James Garfield.
- 10th July » War of the Pacific: Chile suffers its last military defeat in the Battle of La Concepción when a garrison of 77 men is annihilated by a 1,300-strong Peruvian force, many of them armed with spears.
- 11th July » The British Mediterranean Fleet begins the Bombardment of Alexandria in Egypt as part of the Anglo-Egyptian War (1882) named Anglo-Egyptian War.
- 26th July » The Republic of Stellaland is founded in Southern Africa.
- 5th August » The Esso called Standard Oil of New Jersey is established.
- 4th September » Thomas Edison flips the switch to the first commercial electrical power plant in history, lighting one square mile of lower Manhattan. This is considered by many as the day that began the electrical age.
- 5th September » The first United States Labor Day parade is held in New York City.
- 13th September » Anglo-Egyptian War (1882) called Anglo-Egyptian War: The Battle of Tel el-Kebir is fought.
- 18th September » The Pacific Stock Exchange opens.
- 14th October » University of the Punjab is founded in a part of India that later became West Pakistan.
- 16th October » The New York, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad called Nickel Plate Railroad opens for business.
- 2nd November » Oulu, Finland is devastated by the Great Oulu Fire of 1882.
Historical events for the year 1882 by month