What Happened In October 1910 In History
Historical Events for October, 1910
- 1st » Los Angeles Times bombing: A large bomb destroys the 'Los Angeles Times' building in downtown Los Angeles, killing 21.
- 5th » In a 5 October 1910 revolution named revolution in Portugal the list of Portuguese monarchs named monarchy is overthrown and a republic is declared.
- 6th » Eleftherios Venizelos is elected Prime Minister of Greece for the first time (7 times in total).
- 10th » Tau Epsilon Phi: Tau Epsilon Phi Fraternity is founded on the campus of Columbia University in New York City, New York.
- 11th » Former President Theodore Roosevelt becomes the first U.S. president to fly in an airplane. He flew for four minutes with Arch Hoxsey in a plane built by the Wright Brothers at Kinloch Field (Lambert-St. Louis International Airport), St. Louis, Missouri.
- 14th » The English aviator Claude Grahame-White lands his Farman Aircraft biplane on Executive Avenue near the White House in Washington, D.C..
- 15th » America (airship) known as Airship America launched from New Jersey in the first attempt to cross the Atlantic by a powered aircraft.
- 20th » The hull of the RMS called Olympic, sister-ship to the ill-fated RMS called Titanic, is launched from the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
- 21st » HMS Niobe 1897 6 arrives in Halifax Harbour to become the first ship of the Royal Canadian Navy.
- 22nd » Hawley Harvey Crippen or Dr. Crippen is convicted at the Old Bailey of poisoning his wife and is subsequently hanged at Pentonville (HM Prison) or Pentonville Prison in London.
Famous Birthdays on October in 1910
- 1st » Bonnie and Clyde named Bonnie Parker, American criminal (d. 1934)
- 1st » Fritz Köberle, Austrian-Brazilian physician and pathologist (d. 1983)
- 1st » José Enrique Moyal, Australian physicist and engineer (d. 1998)
- 1st » Chaim Pinchas Scheinberg, Polish-Israeli rabbi and scholar (d. 2012)
- 4th » Viktor Ader, Estonian footballer (d. 1966)
- 4th » Frankie Crosetti, American baseball player and coach (d. 2002)
- 6th » Barbara Castle, Baroness Castle of Blackburn, English politician, First Secretary of State (d. 2002)
- 7th » Henry Plumer McIlhenny, American philanthropist (d. 1986)
- 8th » Kirk Alyn, American actor (d. 1999)
- 8th » Paulette Dubost, French actress (d. 2011)
- 8th » Gus Hall, American soldier and politician (d. 2000)
- 8th » Ray Lewis (track and field athlete) known as Ray Lewis, Canadian runner (d. 2003)
- 10th » Julius Shulman, American photographer (d. 2009)
- 12th » Robert Fitzgerald, American poet and critic (d. 1985)
- 12th » Malcolm Renfrew, American chemist and educator (d. 2013)
- 14th » John Wooden, American basketball player and coach (d. 2010)
- 15th » Edwin O. Reischauer, Japanese-American scholar, diplomat, and educator, United States Ambassador to Japan (d. 1990)
- 17th » Ester Wier, American author (d. 2000)
- 19th » Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar, Indian-American astrophysicist, Nobel Prize in Physics known as Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1995)
- 19th » Shunkichi Hamada, Japanese field hockey player (d. 2009)
- 19th » Paul Robert (lexicographer) called Paul Robert, French lexicographer and publisher (d. 1980)
- 20th » Chen Liting, Chinese director and playwright (d. 2013)
- 20th » Bob Sheppard, American sportscaster (d. 2010)
- 23rd » Richard Mortensen, Danish painter (d. 1993)
- 23rd » Hayden Rorke, American actor (d. 1987)
- 24th » Yoel Zussman, Israeli judges (d. 1982)
- 24th » James K. Woolnough, United States Army generals (d. 1996)
- 24th » Stella Brooks, American female jazz singers (d. 2002)
- 24th » Joe L. Evins Tennessee Democrats (d. 1984)
- 24th » Nancy Meek Pocock, Members of the Order of Ontario (d. 1998)
- 25th » William Higinbotham, American physicist (d. 1994)
- 26th » John Krol, American cardinal (d. 1996)
- 27th » Jack Carson, Canadian-American actor and singer (d. 1963)
- 29th » A. J. Ayer, English philosopher and author (d. 1989)
- 30th » Luciano Sgrizzi, Italian-Monacan organist and composer (d. 1994)
Famous Deaths for October 1910
- 4th » Sergey Muromtsev, Russian lawyer and politician (b. 1850)
- 15th » Stanley Ketchel, American boxer (b. 1886)
- 17th » Julia Ward Howe, American poet and songwriter (b. 1819)
- 20th » David B. Hill, American lawyer and politician, 29th Governor of New York (b. 1843)
- 23rd » Chulalongkorn, Thai king (b. 1853)
- 25th » Willie Anderson (golfer) named Willie Anderson, Scottish-American golfer (b. 1878)
- 30th » Henry Dunant, Swiss activist, founded the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement known as Red Cross, Nobel Peace Prize e.g Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1828)
Year 1910 events in history for the month of October
Historical events for the year 1910 by month