What Happened In May 1809 In History
Historical Events for May, 1809
- 5th » Mary Kies becomes the first woman awarded a U.S. patent, for a technique of weaving straw with silk and yarn known as thread.
- 5th » The Swiss Cantons of Switzerland named canton of Aargau denies citizenship to Jews.
- 21st » The first day of the Battle of Aspern-Essling between the Austrian army led by Archduke Charles, Duke of Teschen known as Archduke Charles and the French army led by Napoleon named Napoleon I of France sees the French attack across the Danube held.
- 22nd » On the second and last day of the Battle of Aspern-Essling (near Vienna, Austria), Napoleon I is repelled by an enemy army for the first time.
- 25th » Chuquisaca Revolution: a group of Patriot (Spanish American Revolution) named patriots in Chuquisaca (modern day Sucre) revolt against the Spanish Empire, starting the South American Wars of Independence.
Famous Birthdays on May in 1809
- 20th » Albert Newsam, American artist (d. 1864)
Famous Deaths for May 1809
- 13th » Beilby Porteus, English bishop (b. 1731)
- 17th » Leopold Auenbrugger, Austrian physician (b. 1722)
- 31st » Joseph Haydn, Austrian composer (b. 1732)
- 31st » Jean Lannes, French general (b. 1769)
Year 1809 events in history for the month of May
Historical events for the year 1809 by month