What Happened In History Year 1835
Historical Events for the Year 1835
- 7th January » HMS e.g Beagle drops anchor off the Chonos Archipelago.
- 8th January » The United States public debt History known as United States national debt is zero for the only time.
- 24th January » Slaves in Salvador da Bahia, Brazil, Malê Revolt known as stage a revolt, which is instrumental in ending slavery there 50 years later.
- 30th January » In the first assassination attempt against a President of the United States, Richard Lawrence (failed assassin) known as Richard Lawrence attempts to shoot president Andrew Jackson, but fails and is subdued by a crowd, including several congressmen.
- 1st February » Slavery is Abolitionism e.g abolished in Mauritius.
- 14th February » The original Quorum of the Twelve known as Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, in the Latter Day Saint movement, is formed in Kirtland, Ohio.
- 15th February » The first constitutional law in modern Serbia is adopted.
- 20th February » Concepción, Chile is destroyed by an earthquake.
- 5th May » In Belgium, the first railway in continental Europe opens between Brussels and Mechelen.
- 6th May » James Gordon Bennett, Sr. publishes the first issue of the 'New York Herald'.
- 2nd June » P. T. Barnum and his circus start their first tour of the United States.
- 25th August » The 'New York Sun (historical) e.g New York Sun' perpetrates the Great Moon Hoax.
- 30th August » Melbourne is founded.
- 15th September » HMS or Beagle, with Charles Darwin aboard, reaches the Galápagos Islands. The ship lands at Chatham or San Cristóbal Island known as San Cristobal, the easternmost of the archipelago.
- 20th September » Ragamuffin rebels capture Porto Alegre, then capital of the Empire of Brazil called Brazilian imperial province of Rio Grande do Sul, triggering the start of ten-year-long Ragamuffin War.
- 2nd October » The Texas Revolution begins with the Battle of Gonzales: Mexican soldiers attempt to disarm the people of Gonzales, Texas, but encounter stiff resistance from a hastily assembled militia.
- 3rd October » The Staedtler company is founded in Nuremberg, Germany.
- 28th October » The United Tribes of New Zealand is established with the signature of the Declaration of Independence of New Zealand or Declaration of Independence.
- 24th November » The Texas Provincial Government authorizes the creation of a horse-mounted police force called the Texas Rangers (which is now the Texas Ranger Division of the Texas Department of Public Safety).
- 27th November » James Pratt and John Smith are hanged in London; they are the last two to be executed for sodomy in England.
- 9th December » Texas Revolution: The Texian Army captures San Antonio, Texas.
- 17th December » Great Fire of New York: Fire levels lower Manhattan.
- 28th December » Osceola leads his Seminole warriors in Florida into the Seminole Wars called Second Seminole War against the United States Army.
- 29th December » The Treaty of New Echota is signed, ceding all the lands of the Cherokee east of the Mississippi River to the United States.
Historical events for the year 1835 by month