What Happened In March 1885 In History
Historical Events for March, 1885
- 2nd » Sino-French War: French victory in the Battle of Hòa Mộc called Battle of Hoa Moc near Tuyen Quang, northern Vietnam.
- 3rd » The American Telephone & Telegraph Company is incorporated in New York.
- 12th » Tonkin Campaign: French Third Republic known as France Bắc Ninh Campaign e.g captures the citadel of Bắc Ninh.
- 14th » 'The Mikado', a light opera by W. S. Gilbert and Arthur Sullivan, receives its first public performance in London.
- 19th » Louis Riel declares a Provisional Government in Saskatchewan, beginning the North-West Rebellion.
- 23rd » Sino-French War: Chinese victory in the Battle of Phu Lam Tao near Hung Hoa, northern Vietnam.
- 24th » Sino-French War: Chinese victory in the Battle of Bang Bo (Zhennan Pass) known as Battle of Bang Bo on the Tonkin–Guangxi border.
- 26th » The Métis people (Canada) named Métis people of the District of Saskatchewan under Louis Riel begin the North-West Rebellion against Canada.
- 30th » The Battle for Kushka triggers the Panjdeh Incident which nearly gives rise to war between the British Empire and Russian Empire.
- 31st » The United Kingdom establishes a protectorate over Bechuanaland.
Famous Birthdays on March in 1885
- 2nd » Victor Houteff, Bulgarian religious reformer and author (d. 1955)
- 6th » Ring Lardner, American author and journalist (d. 1933)
- 7th » Milton Avery, American painter (d. 1965)
- 7th » John Tovey, 1st Baron Tovey, English admiral (d. 1971)
- 11th » Malcolm Campbell, English race car driver (d. 1948)
- 14th » Raoul Lufbery, French-American pilot (d. 1918)
- 16th » Giacomo Benvenuti, Italian composer and musicologist (d. 1943)
- 16th » Emory Holloway, American author (d. 1977)
- 17th » Ralph Rose, American shot putter (d. 1913)
- 19th » Attik, Greek composer (d. 1944)
- 21st » Pierre Renoir, French actor and director (d. 1952)
- 22nd » Aryeh Levin, Lithuanian rabbi (d. 1969)
- 27th » Julio Lozano Díaz, Honduran politician, 40th President of Honduras (d. 1957)
- 27th » Reginald Fletcher, 1st Baron Winster, English soldier and politician, Governor of Cyprus (d. 1961)
- 29th » Dezső Kosztolányi, Hungarian author and poet (d. 1936)
- 31st » Pascin, Bulgarian-American painter (d. 1930)
Famous Deaths for March 1885
- 26th » Anson Stager, American general and businessman, co-founded Western Union (b. 1825)
- 31st » Franz Abt, German composer and conductor (b. 1819)
Year 1885 events in history for the month of March
Historical events for the year 1885 by month