What Happened In September 1885 In History
Historical Events for September, 1885
- 2nd » Rock Springs massacre: in Rock Springs, Wyoming, 150 white miners, who are struggling to unionize so they could strike for better wages and work conditions, attack their Overseas Chinese known as Chinese fellow workers killing 28, wounding 15 and forcing
- 6th » Eastern Rumelia declares its union with Bulgaria. Bulgarian unification is henceforth accomplished.
- 12th » Arbroath 36–0 Bon Accord, a world record scoreline in professional Association football.
- 22nd » Lord Randolph Churchill makes a speech in Ulster in opposition to Irish Home Rule movement known as Home Rule.
- 28th » Riots break out in Montreal to protest against compulsory smallpox vaccination.
- 29th » The first Blackpool tramway e.g practical public electric tramway in the world is opened in Blackpool, England.
Famous Birthdays on September in 1885
- 4th » Antonio Bacci, Italian cardinal (d. 1971)
- 4th » Dimitrios Loundras, Greek gymnast (d. 1971)
- 7th » Elinor Wylie, American author and poet (d. 1928)
- 9th » Miriam Licette, English soprano and educator (d. 1969)
- 10th » Johannes de Jong, Dutch cardinal (d. 1955)
- 10th » David Kolehmainen, Finnish wrestler (d. 1918)
- 10th » Carl Clinton Van Doren, American author and critic (d. 1950)
- 11th » D. H. Lawrence, English author, poet, playwright, and critic (d. 1930)
- 11th » Herbert Stothart, American composer and conductor (d. 1949)
- 12th » Heinrich Hoffmann, German photographer (d. 1957)
- 13th » Wilhelm Blaschke, Austrian-German mathematician and academic (d. 1962)
- 14th » Vittorio Gui, Italian conductor, composer, and critic (d. 1975)
- 18th » Uzeyir Hajibeyov, Azerbaijani composer, conductor, and playwright (d. 1948)
- 20th » Enrico Mizzi, Maltese politician, 6th Prime Minister of Malta (d. 1950)
- 22nd » Gunnar Asplund, Swedish architect, designed the Stockholm Public Library (d. 1940)
- 22nd » Ben Chifley, Australian engineer and politician, 16th Prime Minister of Australia (d. 1951)
- 22nd » Erich von Stroheim, Austrian-American actor, director, and screenwriter (d. 1957)
- 24th » Artur Lemba, Estonian pianist, composer, and educator (d. 1963)
- 27th » Harry Blackstone, Sr., American magician (d. 1965)
- 27th » Charles Benjamin Howard, Canadian businessman and politician (d. 1964)
- 28th » Emil Väre, Finnish wrestler (d. 1974)
Famous Deaths for September 1885
- 6th » Narcís Monturiol i Estarriol, Catalan engineer, designed the 'Ictineo I' and 'Ictineo II' (b. 1819)
- 13th » Friedrich Kiel, German composer and educator (b. 1821)
- 15th » Jumbo, Sudanese-Canadian elephant (b. 1861)
Year 1885 events in history for the month of September
Historical events for the year 1885 by month