What Happened In May 1837 In History
Historical Events for May, 1837
- 3rd » The National and Kapodistrian University of Athens e.g University of Athens is founded in Athens, Greece.
- 10th » Panic of 1837: New York City banks fail, and unemployment reaches record levels.
- 25th » The Rebellions of 1837 Rebels of Lower Canada (Quebec) rebel against the United Kingdom British for Political freedom freedom.
Famous Birthdays on May in 1837
- 7th » Karl Mauch, German geographer and explorer (d. 1875)
- 9th » Adam Opel, German engineer, founded the Opel named Opel Company (d. 1895)
- 22nd » Guillaume Fouace, French painter (d. 1895)
- 27th » Wild Bill Hickok, American lawman (d. 1876)
- 28th » Tony Pastor, American businessman (d. 1908)
Famous Deaths for May 1837
- 8th » Alexander Balashov, Russian general and politician (b. 1770)
- 31st » Joseph Grimaldi, English comedian and actor, created the clown (b. 1779)
Year 1837 events in history for the month of May
Historical events for the year 1837 by month