What Happened In April 2009 In History
Historical Events for April, 2009
- 1st » Croatia and Albania join NATO.
- 3rd » Binghamton shootings: Jiverly Antares Wong opens fire at an American Civic Association immigration center in Binghamton, New York or NY, killing 13 and wounding 4 others before Wong took his own life.
- 5th » North Korea launches its controversial Kwangmyŏngsŏng-2 rocket. The satellite passed over mainland Japan, which prompted an immediate reaction from the United Nations Security Council, as well as participating states of Six-party talks.
- 7th » Former Peruvian President Alberto Fujimori is sentenced to 25 years in prison for ordering killings and kidnappings by security forces.
- 7th » 2009 Moldova civil unrest known as Mass protests begin across Moldova under the belief that results from the Moldovan parliamentary election, April 2009 known as parliamentary election are fraudulent.
- 9th » In Tbilisi, Georgia (country) called Georgia, up to 60,000 people 2009 Georgian demonstrations or protest against the government of Mikheil Saakashvili.
- 10th » President of Fiji Ratu Josefa Iloilo announces he will suspend the Constitution of Fiji known as constitution and assume all governance in the country, creating a 2009 Fijian constitutional crisis called constitutional crisis.
- 12th » Zimbabwe officially abandons the Zimbabwe Dollar as its official currency.
- 30th » Chrysler files for Chapter 11, Title 11, United States Code called Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
- 30th » Azerbaijan State Oil Academy shooting: Twelve people were killed (students and staff members) by an armed attacker.
Famous Deaths for April 2009
- 1st » Lou Perryman, American actor (b. 1941)
- 2nd » Albert Sanschagrin, Canadian bishop (b. 1911)
- 2nd » Bud Shank, American saxophonist and flute player (The L.A. Four (band) called The L.A. Four) (b. 1926)
- 4th » Gonzalo Olave, Chilean actor (b. 1983)
- 5th » Constantine Papadakis, Greek-American businessman and academic (b. 1946)
- 6th » J. M. S. Careless, Canadian historian (b. 1919)
- 6th » Shawn Mackay, Australian rugby player (b. 1982)
- 7th » Dave Arneson, American game designer, co-created 'Dungeons & Dragons' (b. 1947)
- 8th » Piotr Morawski, Polish mountaineer (b. 1976)
- 9th » Nick Adenhart, American baseball player (b. 1986)
- 10th » Deborah Digges, American poet (b. 1950)
- 11th » Gerda Gilboe, Danish actress and singer (b. 1914)
- 11th » Vishnu Prabhakar, Indian author and playwright (b. 1912)
- 11th » Corín Tellado, Spanish author (b. 1927)
- 12th » Marilyn Chambers, American porn actress and model (b. 1952)
- 13th » Mark Fidrych, American baseball player (b. 1954)
- 13th » Harry Kalas, American sportscaster (b. 1936)
- 13th » Bruce Snyder, American football player and coach (b. 1940)
- 14th » Maurice Druon, French author (b. 1918)
- 15th » Ed Blake, American baseball player (b. 1925)
- 15th » Clement Freud, German-English journalist and politician (b. 1924)
- 15th » László Tisza, Hungarian-American physicist and educator (b. 1907)
- 18th » Stephanie Parker, English-Welsh actress (b. 1987)
- 19th » J. G. Ballard, Chinese-English author (b. 1930)
- 20th » Beata Asimakopoulou, Greek actress (b. 1932)
- 24th » John Michell (writer) named John Michell, English author (b. 1933)
- 25th » Bea Arthur, American actress and singer (b. 1922)
- 26th » Hans Holzer, Austrian-American paranormal investigator and author (b. 1920)
- 27th » Frankie Manning, American dancer and choreographer (b. 1914)
- 27th » Feroz Khan, Indian actor, director, and producer (b. 1939)
- 27th » Woo Seung-yeon, South Korean model and actress (b. 1983)
- 28th » Ekaterina Maximova, Russian ballerina (b. 1939)
- 28th » Richard Pratt (Australian businessman) or Richard Pratt, Australian businessman (b. 1934)
- 28th » Valeria Peter Predescu, Romanian singer (b. 1947)
- 30th » Venetia Burney, English girl who named Pluto (b. 1918)
- 30th » Henk Nijdam, Dutch cyclist (b. 1935)
Year 2009 events in history for the month of April
Historical events for the year 2009 by month