What Happened In History Year 2009
Historical Events for the Year 2009
- 1st January » Sixty-six people die in a Santika Club fire named nightclub fire in Bangkok or Bangkok, Thailand.
- 1st January » Slovakia joins the Eurozone.
- 3rd January » The first block of the blockchain of the decentralized payment system Bitcoin, called the 'Genesis block', was established by the creator of the system, Satoshi Nakamoto.
- 6th January » Israel conducts an assault on Gaza. Operation Cast Lead
- 8th January » A 6.1-magnitude 2009 Costa Rica earthquake e.g earthquake in northern Costa Rica kills 15 people and injures 32.
- 15th January » US Airways Flight 1549 makes an emergency landing in the Hudson River shortly after takeoff from LaGuardia Airport in New York City known as New York, New York. All passengers and crew members survive.
- 20th January » A protest movement in Iceland culminates as the Kitchenware Revolution named 2009 Icelandic financial crisis protests start.
- 24th January » The storm Klaus (storm) e.g Klaus makes landfall near Bordeaux, France. It subsequently would cause 26 deaths as well as extensive disruptions to public transport and power supplies.
- 26th January » Rioting breaks out in Antananarivo, Madagascar, sparking a 2009 Malagasy political crisis or political crisis that will result in the replacement of List of Presidents of Madagascar or President Marc Ravalomanana with Andry Rajoelina.
- 29th January » The Supreme Constitutional Court of Egypt rules that people who do not adhere to one of the three Religion in Egypt Recognized religions called government-recognised religions, while not allowed to list any belief outside of those three, are still Egyptia
- 29th January » Governor of Illinois Rod Blagojevich Rod Blagojevich corruption charges named is removed from office following his conviction of several corruption charges, including the alleged solicitation of personal benefit in exchange for an appointment to the Unite
- 31st January » In Kenya, at least 113 people are killed and over 200 injured following an Molo fire oil spillage ignition in Molo, Kenya Molo, days after 2009 Nakumatt supermarket fire a massive fire at a Nakumatt supermarket in Nairobi killed at least 25 people.
- 10th February » The communication satellites Iridium 33 and Kosmos-2251 2009 satellite collision e.g collide in orbit, destroying both.
- 12th February » Colgan Air Flight 3407 crashes into a house in Clarence Center, New York while on approach to Buffalo Niagara International Airport, killing all on board and one on the ground.
- 20th February » 2009 suicide air raid on Colombo known as Two Tamil Tigers aircraft packed with C4 explosives en route to the national airforce headquarters are shot down by the Sri Lankan military before reaching their target, in a kamikaze style attack.
- 25th February » Members of the Border Guards Bangladesh named Bangladesh Rifles 2009 Bangladesh Rifles revolt named mutiny at their headquarters in Pilkhana, Dhaka, Bangladesh, resulting in 74 deaths, including more than 50 army officials.
- 3rd March » The Historical Archive of the City of Cologne collapses.
- 4th March » The International Criminal Court (ICC) issues an arrest warrant for President of Sudan called Sudanese President Omar Hassan al-Bashir for war crimes and crimes against humanity in Darfur. Al-Bashir is the first sitting head of state to be indicted by the
- 7th March » The Real Irish Republican Army 2009 Massereene Barracks shooting named kills two British soldiers and two civilians, the first British military deaths in Northern Ireland since the end of The Troubles.
- 7th March » The Kepler (spacecraft) e.g Kepler space observatory, designed to discover Terrestrial planet or Earth-like planets orbiting other stars, is launched.
- 11th March » Winnenden school shooting: 16 are killed and 11 are injured before recent-graduate Tim Kretschmer shoots and kills himself, leading to tightened weapons restrictions in Germany.
- 12th March » Financier Bernard Madoff pleads guilty in New York to scamming $18 billion, the largest in Wall Street history.
- 27th March » The dam forming Situ Gintung, an artificial lake in Indonesia, fails, killing at least 99 people.
- 27th March » A suicide bombing e.g suicide bomber 2009 Jamrud mosque bombing known as kills at least 48 at a mosque in the Khyber Agency of Pakistan.
- 30th March » Twelve gunmen 2009 Lahore police academy attacks known as attack the Manawan Police Academy in Lahore, Pakistan.
- 1st April » Croatia and Albania join NATO.
- 3rd April » Binghamton shootings: Jiverly Antares Wong opens fire at an American Civic Association immigration center in Binghamton, New York or NY, killing 13 and wounding 4 others before Wong took his own life.
- 5th April » North Korea launches its controversial Kwangmyŏngsŏng-2 rocket. The satellite passed over mainland Japan, which prompted an immediate reaction from the United Nations Security Council, as well as participating states of Six-party talks.
- 7th April » Former Peruvian President Alberto Fujimori is sentenced to 25 years in prison for ordering killings and kidnappings by security forces.
- 7th April » 2009 Moldova civil unrest known as Mass protests begin across Moldova under the belief that results from the Moldovan parliamentary election, April 2009 known as parliamentary election are fraudulent.
- 9th April » In Tbilisi, Georgia (country) called Georgia, up to 60,000 people 2009 Georgian demonstrations or protest against the government of Mikheil Saakashvili.
- 10th April » President of Fiji Ratu Josefa Iloilo announces he will suspend the Constitution of Fiji known as constitution and assume all governance in the country, creating a 2009 Fijian constitutional crisis called constitutional crisis.
- 12th April » Zimbabwe officially abandons the Zimbabwe Dollar as its official currency.
- 30th April » Chrysler files for Chapter 11, Title 11, United States Code called Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
- 30th April » Azerbaijan State Oil Academy shooting: Twelve people were killed (students and staff members) by an armed attacker.
- 1st May » Same-sex marriage is legalized in Sweden.
- 7th May » Over 100 New Zealand Police officers begin a 2009 Napier shootings or 40-hour siege of a lone gunman in Napier, New Zealand.
- 18th May » Sri Lankan Civil War: The Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam known as LTTE are defeated by the Government of Sri Lanka e.g Sri Lankan government, ending almost 26 years of fighting between the two sides.
- 23rd May » Former President of South Korea e.g South Korean president Roh Moo-hyun commits suicide, jumping from a 45 meter cliff in Bongha, Gimhae, South Korea.
- 25th May » North Korea allegedly tests 2009 North Korean nuclear test named its second nuclear device. Following the nuclear test, Pyongyang also conducted several missile tests building tensions in the international community.
- 27th May » A 2009 Lahore bombing e.g suicide bombing kills at least 35 people and injures 250 more in Lahore, Pakistan.
- 1st June » Air France Flight 447 crashes into the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Brazil on a flight from Rio de Janeiro to Paris. All 228 passengers and crew are killed.
- 1st June » General Motors General Motors Chapter 11 reorganization called files for Chapter 11, Title 11, United States Code e.g Chapter 11 bankruptcy. It is the fourth largest United States bankruptcy in history.
- 5th June » After 65 straight days of civil disobedience, at least 31 people 2009 Peruvian political crisis e.g are killed in clashes between security forces and indigenous people near Bagua, Peru.
- 8th June » Two American journalists are 2009 imprisonment of American journalists by North Korea called found guilty of illegally entering North Korea and sentenced to 12 years of penal labour.
- 12th June » A disputed Iranian presidential election, 2009 called presidential election in Iran leads to wide ranging 2009 Iranian election protests named protests in Iran and around the world.
- 18th June » The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO), a NASA robotic spacecraft is launched.
- 19th June » Shishou incident or Mass riots involving over 10,000 people and 10,000 police officers break out in Shishou, China, over the dubious circumstances surrounding the death of a local chef.
- 19th June » War in North-West Pakistan: The Pakistani Armed Forces open Operation Rah-e-Nijat against the Taliban and other Islamist rebels in the South Waziristan area of the Federally Administered Tribal Areas.
- 21st June » Greenland assumes self-governance named self-rule.
- 22nd June » Eastman Kodak Company announces that it will discontinue sales of the Kodachrome Color Film, concluding its 74-year run as a photography icon.
- 5th July » The largest hoard of Anglo-Saxon gold ever discovered, consisting of more than 1,500 items, Staffordshire Hoard called is found near the village of Hammerwich, near Lichfield, in Staffordshire, England.
- 31st July » Three members of the popular South Korean group TVXQ, (Kim Jaejoong, Kim Junsu, and Park Yoochun), filed lawsuit against their Korean management S.M. Entertainment.
- 17th August » 2009 Sayano-Shushenskaya hydro accident or An accident at the Sayano–Shushenskaya Dam in Khakassia, Russia, kills 75 and shuts down the hydroelectric power station, leading to widespread power failure in the local area.
- 19th August » A 19 August 2009 Baghdad bombings named series of bombings in Baghdad, Iraq, kills 101 and injures 565 others.
- 27th August » Internal conflict in Burma: The State Peace and Development Council called Burmese military junta and ethnic armies begin Kokang incident e.g three days of violent clashes in the Kokang Special Region.
- 6th September » The Roll-on/roll-off e.g ro-ro ferry 'SuperFerry 9' sinks off the Zamboanga Peninsula in the Philippines with 971 persons aboard; all but ten are rescued.
- 9th September » The Dubai Metro, the first urban train network in the Arabian Peninsula, is ceremonially inaugurated.
- 18th September » The 72-year run of the soap opera 'The Guiding Light' ends as its final episode is broadcast.
- 24th September » The 2009 G-20 Pittsburgh summit e.g G20 summit begins in Pittsburgh with 30 global leaders in attendance. It marks the first use of LRAD in U.S. history.
- 25th September » U.S. President Barack Obama, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown and French President Nicolas Sarkozy, in a joint TV appearance for a G-20 summit, accused Iran of building a secret nuclear enrichment facility.
- 26th September » Typhoon Ketsana hit the Philippines, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand, causing 700 fatalities.
- 28th September » The military junta leading Guinea, headed by Moussa Dadis Camara called Captain Moussa Dadis Camara, raped, killed, and wounded protesters during 2009 Guinea protest known as a protest rally in a stadium called Stade du 28 Septembre.
- 29th September » An 2009 Samoa earthquake or 8.0 magnitude earthquake near the Samoan Islands causes a tsunami.
- 30th September » The 2009 Sumatra earthquakes occur, killing over 1,115 people.
- 1st October » The Supreme Court of the United Kingdom takes over the judicial functions of the House of Lords.
- 3rd October » The presidents of Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Turkey sign the Nakhchivan Agreement on the Establishment of Turkic Council.
- 10th October » Armenia and Turkey sign protocols in Zurich, Switzerland to open their borders.
- 25th October » The 25 October 2009 Baghdad bombings kills 155 and wounds at least 721.
- 28th October » The 28 October 2009 Peshawar bombing kills 117 and wounds 213.
- 28th October » NASA successfully launches the Ares I-X mission, the only rocket launch for its later-cancelled Constellation program.
- 5th November » United States Army e.g U.S. Army Major Nidal Malik Hasan murders 13 and wounds 32 at Fort Hood, Texas in the deadliest 2009 Fort Hood shooting known as mass shooting at a U.S. military installation.
- 10th November » Ships of the South and North Korean navies Battle of Daecheong called skirmish off Daecheong Island in the Yellow Sea.
- 21st November » A 2009 Heilongjiang mine explosion called mine explosion in Heilongjiang province, northeastern China, kills 108.
- 23rd November » The Maguindanao massacre occurs in Ampatuan, Maguindanao named Ampatuan, Maguindanao, Philippines
- 25th November » 2009 Jeddah floods: Freak rains swamp the city of Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, during an ongoing Hajj pilgrimage. 3,000 cars are swept away and 122 people perish in the torrents, with 350 others missing.
- 27th November » 2009 Nevsky Express bombing: A bomb explodes on the Nevsky Express train between Moscow and Saint Petersburg, derailing it and causing 28 deaths and 96 injuries.
- 29th November » Maurice Clemmons Lakewood, Washington police officer shooting named shoots and kills four police officers inside a coffee shop in Lakewood, Washington.
- 1st December » The Treaty of Lisbon, which amends the Treaty on European Union and the Treaty of Rome named Treaty establishing the European Community, which together comprise the constitutional basis of European Union, comes into effect.
- 3rd December » A 2009 Hotel Shamo bombing or suicide bombing in Mogadishu, Somalia, claims the lives of 25 people, including three ministers of the Transitional Federal Government.
- 8th December » December 2009 Baghdad bombings or Bombings in Baghdad, Iraq, kill 127 and injure 448.
- 17th December » MV named Danny F II sinks off the coast of Lebanon, resulting in the deaths of 44 people and over 28,000 animals.
- 25th December » Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab unsuccessfully attempts a List of terrorist incidents known as terrorist attack against the US while on board a flight to Detroit Metro Airport Northwest Airlines Flight 253
- 27th December » 2009–2010 Iranian election protests called Iranian election protests: On the Day of Ashura in Tehran, Iran, government security forces Ashura protests called fire upon demonstrators.
- 28th December » 2009 Karachi bombing named Forty-three people die in a suicide bombing in Karachi, Pakistan, where Shia Islam known as Shia Muslims are observing the Day of Ashura.
- 30th December » A segment of the Lanzhou–Zhengzhou–Changsha pipeline ruptures in Shaanxi, China, and approximately convert 150000 l usgal abbr=on of Diesel fuel diesel oil Yellow River oil spill flows down the Wei River before finally reaching the Yellow River.
- 30th December » A suicide bomber Camp Chapman attack or kills nine people at Forward Operating Base Chapman, a key facility of the Central Intelligence Agency in Afghanistan.
- 31st December » Both a blue moon and a December 2009 lunar eclipse or lunar eclipse occur.
Historical events for the year 2009 by month