What Happened On 1st October 2009 In History
October 1st (2009) was a Thursday. It's the 274th day of the year (275th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 91 days left to the end of the year.
Historical Events for 1st October, 2009
- » The Supreme Court of the United Kingdom takes over the judicial functions of the House of Lords.
October 1st Famous Deaths for 2009
- » Cintio Vitier, Cuban poet and author (b. 1921)
October 1st Holidays in History
- » Public holidays in South Korea or Armed Forces Day (South Korea)
- » Christian feast day:
- » Abai (martyr) named Abai (Syrian Orthodox Church)
- » Saint Bavo known as Bavo of Ghent
- » Edward James (martyr) or Blessed Edward James
- » Nicetius (Roman Catholic Church)
- » Saint Remigius e.g Remigius
- » Thérèse of Lisieux
- » Protection/Patronage of the Theotokos (Eastern Catholic Churches)
- » October 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- » Public holidays in Azerbaijan named Day of Prosecutors (Azerbaijan)
- » Earliest day on which World Habitat Day can fall, while October 7 is the latest; celebrated on the first Monday of October. (International observances e.g International)
- » Independence Day (Cyprus), celebrates the independence of Cyprus from United Kingdom in 1960.
- » Independence Day (Nigeria), celebrates the independence of Nigeria from United Kingdom in 1960.
- » Independence Day (Palau), celebrates the independence of Palau from the UN Trust Territory status in 1994.
- » Independence Day (Tuvalu), celebrates the independence of Tuvalu from United Kingdom in 1978.
- » International Day of Older Persons
- » Public holidays in Indonesia known as Pancasila Sanctity Day (Indonesia)
- » Public holidays in Cameroon e.g Unification Day (Cameroon)