What Happened In 10th February In History
Historical Events for February 10th
- Year 9 » The Western Han Dynasty ends when Wang Mang claims that the divine Mandate of Heaven called for the end of the dynasty and the beginning of his own, the Xin Dynasty.
- Year 69 » Lucius Calpurnius Piso Licinianus is appointed by Galba as Caesar (title) named deputy Roman Emperor.
- Year 236 » Pope Fabian succeeds Pope Anterus e.g Anterus to become the twentieth pope of Ancient Rome e.g Rome.
- Year 1072 » Robert Guiscard conquers Palermo.
- Year 1475 » Stephen III of Moldavia defeats the Ottoman Empire at the Battle of Vaslui.
- Year 1645 » Archbishop William Laud is beheaded at the Tower of London.
- Year 1776 » Thomas Paine publishes his pamphlet 'Common Sense (pamphlet) called Common Sense'.
- Year 1806 » Dutch settlers in Cape Town surrender to the United Kingdom known as British.
- Year 1810 » Napoleon Bonaparte divorces his first wife Joséphine de Beauharnais e.g Joséphine.
- Year 1861 » American Civil War: Florida secedes from the Union (American Civil War) named Union.
- Year 1870 » John D. Rockefeller incorporates Standard Oil.
- Year 1901 » The first great Texas petroleum named oil gusher is discovered at Spindletop in Beaumont, Texas.
- Year 1916 » World War I: In the Erzurum Offensive, Russian Empire called Russia defeats the Ottoman Empire.
- Year 1920 » The Treaty of Versailles takes effect, officially ending World War I.
- Year 1922 » Arthur Griffith is elected President of the Dáil Éireann.
- Year 1923 » Lithuania seizes and annexes Klaipėda e.g Memel.
- Year 1929 » 'The Adventures of Tintin', one of the most popular European comic books, is first published in Belgium.
- Year 1941 » World War II: The Greece Greek army Capture of Klisura Pass captures Këlcyrë Kleisoura.
- Year 1946 » The first United Nations General Assembly or General Assembly of the United Nations opens in London. Fifty-one nations are represented.
- Year 1946 » The United States Army Signal Corps (United States Army) named Signal Corps successfully conducts Project Diana, bouncing radio waves off the moon and receiving the reflected signals.
- Year 1954 » BOAC Flight 781, a de Havilland DH.106 Comet 1, explodes and falls into the Tyrrhenian Sea killing 35 people.
- Year 1962 » Apollo program: NASA announces plans to build the C-5 rocket launch vehicle. It became better known as the Saturn V Moon rocket, which launched every Apollo Moon mission.
- Year 1972 » Sheikh Mujibur Rahman returns to the newly independent Bangladesh as president after spending over nine months in prison in Pakistan.
- Year 1981 » Salvadoran Civil War: The Farabundo Martí National Liberation Front FMLN launches its first major offensive, gaining control of most of Morazán Department Morazán and Chalatenango Department Chalatenango departments
- Year 1985 » Sandinista National Liberation Front named Sandinista Daniel Ortega becomes president of Nicaragua and vows to continue the transformation to socialism and alliance with the Soviet Union and Cuba; American policy continues to support the Contras in their
- Year 1990 » Time Warner is formed by the merger of Time Inc. and Warner Communications.
- Year 1999 » Sanjeev Nanda kills three policemen in New Delhi or New Delhi, India with his car, an act for which he was later acquitted, resulting in a sharp drop in public confidence in the Judiciary of India or Indian legal system.
- Year 2005 » A mudslide occurs in La Conchita, California, killing 10 people, injuring many more and closing U.S. Route 101 in California named U.S. Route 101, the main coastal corridor between Los Angeles and San Francisco for 10 days.
- Year 2007 » A 2007 Guinean general strike named general strike begins in Guinea in an eventually successful attempt to get President Lansana Conté to resign.
- Year 2011 » 2010–2011 Queensland floods: Torrential rain in the Lockyer Valley region of South East Queensland named South East Queensland, Australia causes severe flash flooding, killing 9 people.
- Year 2012 » A 2012 Khyber Agency bombing called bombing in Khyber Agency, Pakistan, kills at least 30 people and 78 others injured.
- Year 2013 » More than 100 people are killed and 270 injured in several January 2013 Pakistan bombings or bomb blasts in Pakistan.
World History for the Month of February