What Happened In 20th February In History
Historical Events for February 20th
- Year 250 » Emperor Decius begins a widespread persecution of Christians in Rome. Pope Fabian is martyred.
- Year 649 » King Chindasuinth, at the urging of bishop Braulio of Zaragoza, crowns his son Recceswinth as co-ruler of the Visigothic Kingdom.
- Year 1320 » Duke Wladyslaw Lokietek becomes History of Poland (966–1385) Late Piast dynasty and reunification called king of Poland.
- Year 1356 » Edward Balliol abdication known as abdicates as List of Scottish monarchs House of Balliol (1292–1296) or King of Scotland.
- Year 1523 » Christian II of Denmark e.g Christian II is forced to abdicate as King of Denmark and Norway.
- Year 1567 » Battle of Rio de Janeiro (1567) named Battle of Rio de Janeiro: Portuguese Empire named Portuguese forces under the command of Estácio de Sá definitively drive the French out of Rio de Janeiro.
- Year 1576 » The Mexico e.g Mexican city of León, Guanajuato called León is founded by order of the viceroy Don Martín Enríquez de Almanza.
- Year 1649 » Charles I of England goes on trial for treason and other "high crimes".
- Year 1783 » The Kingdom of Great Britain signs a peace treaty with France and Spain, officially ending hostilities in the American Revolutionary War (also known as the American War of Independence).
- Year 1785 » Invading Siamese forces attempt to exploit the political chaos in Vietnam, but are ambushed and annihilated at the Mekong River by the Tay Son in the Battle of Rạch Gầm-Xoài Mút.
- Year 1788 » The third and main part of First Fleet arrives at Botany Bay. Arthur Phillip decides that Botany Bay is unsuitable for the location of a penal colony, and decides to move to Port Jackson.
- Year 1839 » In the Battle of Yungay, Chile defeats an alliance between Peru and Bolivia.
- Year 1841 » Hong Kong Island is occupied by the United Kingdom called British.
- Year 1877 » Last day of the Constantinople Conference which resulted in agreement for political reforms in the Balkans.
- Year 1887 » The United States Senate allows the United States Navy named Navy to lease Pearl Harbor as a naval base.
- Year 1920 » The American Civil Liberties Union is founded.
- Year 1921 » Turkish Constitution of 1921 called The first Constitution of Turkey is adopted, making fundamental changes in the source and exercise of sovereignty by consecrating the principle of national sovereignty.
- Year 1929 » 'In Old Arizona', the first full-length talking motion picture filmed outdoors, is released.
- Year 1936 » Edward VIII of the United Kingdom called Edward VIII becomes Monarchy of the United Kingdom known as King of the United Kingdom.
- Year 1942 » World War II: At the Wannsee Conference held in the Berlin suburb of Wannsee, senior Nazi Germany named Nazi German officials discuss the implementation of the "Final Solution to the Jewish Question".
- Year 1945 » World War II: Hungary agrees to an armistice with the Allies of World War II known as Allies.
- Year 1945 » World War II: Nazi Germany named Germany begins the evacuation of East Prussia e.g evacuation of 1.8 million people from East Prussia, a task which will take nearly two months.
- Year 1949 » Point Four Program a program for economic aid to poor countries announced by United States President Harry S. Truman in his inaugural address for a full term as President.
- Year 1954 » The National Negro Network is established with 40 charter member radio stations.
- Year 1959 » The first flight of the Vickers Vanguard.
- Year 1960 » Hendrik Verwoerd announces a plebiscite on whether South Africa should become a Republic.
- Year 1969 » East Pakistani police kill student activist Amanullah Asaduzzaman. The resulting outrage is in part responsible for the Bangladesh Liberation War.
- Year 1972 » Pakistan launched its Pakistan and weapons of mass destruction called Nuclear weapons program few weeks after its defeat in Bangladesh Liberation War and Indo-Pakistani War of 1971.
- Year 1981 » Twenty minutes after Ronald Reagan is inaugurated, at age 69 the oldest man ever to be inaugurated as U.S. President, Iran releases 52 Iran hostage crisis e.g American hostages.
- Year 1986 » Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is celebrated as a Martin Luther King, Jr. Day called federal holiday for the first time.
- Year 1987 » Church of England envoy Terry Waite is kidnapped in Lebanon.
- Year 1990 » On Black January Black Saturday, Red Army the Red Army kills Azerbaijani people Azerbaijani civilians in Baku.
- Year 1992 » Air Inter Flight 148, an Airbus A320 known as Airbus A320-111, crashes into a mountain near Strasbourg, France killing 87 of the 96 people on board. A design flaw in the computer mode selection system resulted in the crew selecting the wrong rate of desc
- Year 1999 » The China News Service announces new government restrictions on Internet use, aimed especially at Internet cafés.
- Year 2001 » Philippines Philippine President of the Philippines president Joseph Estrada is ousted in a EDSA Revolution of 2001 nonviolent 4-day revolution, and is succeeded by Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
- Year 2006 » Witnesses report seeing a bottlenose whale River Thames whale named swimming in the River Thames, the first time the species had been seen in the River Thames or Thames since records began in 1913.
- Year 2007 » A three-man team, using only kite skiing skis and kites, completes a convert 1093 mi km adj=on trek to reach the southern pole of inaccessibility for the first time since 1958 and for the first time ever without mechanical assistance.
- Year 2009 » A protest movement in Iceland culminates as the Kitchenware Revolution named 2009 Icelandic financial crisis protests start.
World History for the Month of February