What Happened In April 1999 In History
Historical Events for April, 1999
- 1st » Nunavut is established as a Canada or Canadian territory carved out of the eastern part of the Northwest Territories.
- 5th » Two History of Libya under Muammar Gaddafi e.g Libyans suspected of bringing down Pan Am flight 103 in 1988 are handed over for eventual trial in the Netherlands.
- 7th » The World Trade Organization rules in favor of the United States in its long-running trade dispute with the European Union over bananas.
- 8th » Haryana Gana Parishad, a political party in the Indian state of Haryana, merges with the Indian National Congress.
- 9th » Battle of Košare begins, part of Kosovo War.
- 12th » US President Bill Clinton is cited for contempt of court for giving "intentionally false statements" in a sexual harassment civil lawsuit.
- 14th » NATO mistakenly bombs a convoy of ethnic Albanian refugees Federal Republic of Yugoslavia known as Yugoslav officials say 75 people were killed.
- 14th » A 1999 Sydney hailstorm or severe hailstorm strikes Sydney, Australia causing Australian dollar or A$2.3 billion in insured damages, the most costly natural disaster in Australian history.
- 19th » The Germany e.g German Bundestag returns to Berlin, the first German parliamentary body to meet there since the Reichstag (Weimar Republic) e.g Reichstag was dissolved in 1933.
- 20th » Columbine High School massacre: Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed 13 people and injured 24 others before committing suicide at Columbine High School in Columbine, Colorado.
- 29th » The Avala TV Tower near Belgrade is destroyed in the 1999 NATO bombing of the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia named NATO bombing of Federal Republic of Yugoslavia named Yugoslavia.
Famous Birthdays on April in 1999
- 5th » Sharlene San Pedro, Filipino actress, singer, and dancer
- 6th » Kwesi Boakye, American actor
- 8th » CiCi Bellis, American tennis player
- 8th » Ty Panitz, American actor
- 9th » Isaac Hempstead-Wright, English actor
- 12th » Akai Osei, English dancer
- 20th » Carly Rose Sonenclar, American actress and singer
Famous Deaths for April 1999
- 1st » Jesse Stone, American pianist, songwriter, and producer (b. 1901)
- 3rd » Lionel Bart, English composer (b. 1930)
- 3rd » Geoffrey Walsh, Canadian lieutenant (b. 1909)
- 4th » Faith Domergue, American actor (b. 1924)
- 4th » Bob Peck, English actor (b. 1945)
- 4th » Early Wynn, American baseball player and sportscaster (b. 1920)
- 5th » Paul David, Canadian cardiologist and politician (b. 1919)
- 6th » Red Norvo, American vibraphone player and composer (b. 1908)
- 7th » Heinz Lehmann, German-Canadian psychiatrist (b. 1911)
- 9th » Ibrahim Baré Maïnassara, Nigerien general and politician, President of Niger (b. 1949)
- 10th » Heinz Fraenkel-Conrat, German biochemist (b. 1910)
- 11th » William H. Armstrong, American author (b. 1911)
- 12th » Marion Albert Pruett, American spree killer (b. 1949)
- 12th » Boxcar Willie, American singer-songwriter (b. 1931)
- 13th » Ortvin Sarapu, New Zealand chess player (b. 1924)
- 13th » Willi Stoph, German politician, 2nd Leadership of East Germany e.g Prime Minister of East Germany (b. 1914)
- 14th » Ellen Corby, American actress (b. 1911)
- 14th » Anthony Newley, English-American singer-songwriter and actor (b. 1931)
- 15th » Harvey Postlethwaite, English engineer (b. 1944)
- 16th » Skip Spence, Canadian-American singer-songwriter and guitarist (Jefferson Airplane and Moby Grape) (b. 1946)
- 19th » Hermine Braunsteiner, Austrian-German SS officer (b. 1919)
- 19th » David Sanes, American security guard (b. 1954)
- 20th » Casualties of the Columbine High School massacre:
- 20th » Rick Rude, American wrestler (b. 1958)
- 20th » Señor Wences, Spanish ventriloquist and comedian (b. 1896)
- 21st » Buddy Rogers (actor) known as Buddy Rogers, American actor and singer (b. 1904)
- 22nd » Chan Canasta, Polish-English magician (b. 1920)
- 22nd » Munir Ahmad Khan, Pakistani-Austrian physicist and engineer (b. 1926)
- 22nd » Apostolos Nikolaidis (singer) called Apostolos Nikolaidis, Greek-American singer (b. 1938)
- 25th » Michael Morris, 3rd Baron Killanin, Irish journalist and author (b. 1914)
- 25th » Larry Troutman, American drummer, songwriter, and producer (Zapp (band) called Zapp) (b. 1944)
- 25th » Roger Troutman, American singer-songwriter and producer (Zapp (band) named Zapp) (b. 1951)
- 26th » Adrian Borland, English singer-songwriter, guitarist, and producer (The Sound (band) e.g The Sound and The Outsiders (British band) known as The Outsiders) (b. 1957)
- 26th » Jill Dando, English journalist (b. 1961)
- 27th » Al Hirt, American trumpet player and bandleader (b. 1922)
- 27th » Dale C. Thomson, Canadian historian and educator (b. 1923)
- 28th » Rory Calhoun, American actor, producer, and screenwriter (b. 1922)
- 28th » Rolf Landauer, German-American physicist and engineer (b. 1927)
- 28th » Alf Ramsey, English footballer and manager (b. 1920)
- 28th » Arthur Leonard Schawlow, American physicist, Nobel Prize in Physics or Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1921)
- 30th » Darrell Sweet (musician) or Darrell Sweet, English drummer (Nazareth (band) known as Nazareth) (b. 1947)
Year 1999 events in history for the month of April
Historical events for the year 1999 by month