What Happened In February 1999 In History
Historical Events for February, 1999
- 4th » Unarmed West African immigrant Amadou Diallo (shooting victim) e.g Amadou Diallo is shot dead by four plainclothes New York City police officers on an unrelated stake-out, inflaming race-relations in the city.
- 7th » Crown Prince Abdullah II of Jordan named Abdullah becomes the King of Jordan on the death of his father, King Hussein of Jordan known as Hussein.
- 12th » United States President Bill Clinton is acquitted by the United States Senate in his impeachment trial.
- 15th » Abdullah Öcalan, leader of the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), is arrested in Kenya.
- 16th » In Uzbekistan, a bomb explodes and gunfire is heard at the government headquarters in an apparent assassination attempt against President Islam Karimov.
- 16th » Across Europe, Kurdish rebels take over embassies and hold hostages after Turkey arrests one of their rebel leaders, Abdullah Öcalan.
- 23rd » Kurds called Kurdish rebel leader Abdullah Öcalan is charged with treason in Ankara, Turkey.
- 23rd » An avalanche destroys the Austrian village of Galtür, killing 31.
Famous Birthdays on February in 1999
- 10th » Tiffany Espensen, Chinese-American actress
Famous Deaths for February 1999
- 1st » Paul Calvert (baseball) known as Paul Calvert, Canadian baseball player (b. 1917)
- 1st » Paul Mellon, American philanthropist (b. 1907)
- 2nd » David McComb, Australian singer-songwriter and guitarist (The Triffids and The Blackeyed Susans) (b. 1962)
- 5th » Wassily Leontief, Russian economist, Bank of Sweden Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel named Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1906)
- 6th » Danny Dayton, American actor (b. 1923)
- 6th » Don Dunstan, Australian politician, 35th Premier of South Australia (b. 1926)
- 6th » Jimmy Roberts (singer) or Jimmy Roberts, American tenor (b. 1924)
- 7th » Hussein of Jordan (b. 1935)
- 7th » José Silva (parapsychologist) e.g José Silva, American parapsychologist (b. 1914)
- 7th » Bobby Troup, American actor, pianist, and composer (b. 1918)
- 8th » Denise Leblanc-Bantey, Canadian politician (b. 1949)
- 8th » Iris Murdoch, Irish author (b. 1919)
- 9th » Bryan Mosley, English actor (b. 1931)
- 12th » Toni Fisher, American singer (b. 1931)
- 14th » John Ehrlichman, American lawyer, 12th White House Counsel (b. 1925)
- 14th » Buddy Knox, American singer-songwriter and guitarist (b. 1933)
- 15th » Henry Way Kendall, American physicist, Nobel Prize in Physics named Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1926)
- 16th » Michael Larson, American game show contestant on 'Press Your Luck' (b. 1949)
- 17th » Sunshine Parker, American actor (b. 1927)
- 18th » Noam Pitlik, American actor and director (b. 1932)
- 19th » Mohammad Mohammad Sadeq al-Sadr, Iraqi cleric (b. 1943)
- 21st » Gertrude B. Elion, American biochemist and pharmacologist, Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine or Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1918)
- 21st » Ilmari Juutilainen, Finnish soldier and pilot (b. 1914)
- 21st » Wilmer Mizell, American baseball player (b. 1930)
- 22nd » William Bronk, American poet (b. 1918)
- 22nd » Menno Oosting, Dutch tennis player (b. 1964)
- 23rd » Carlos Hathcock, American sniper (b. 1942)
- 23rd » Rick Wilson (wrestler) known as Rick Wilson, American wrestler (b. 1965)
- 24th » Andre Dubus, American author (b. 1936)
- 24th » David Eccles, 1st Viscount Eccles, English politician (b. 1904)
- 24th » Frank Leslie Walcott, Barbadian politician (b. 1916)
- 25th » Margaret Meagher, Canadian diplomat (b. 1911)
- 25th » Glenn T. Seaborg, American chemist, Nobel Prize in Chemistry called Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1912)
- 27th » Horace Tapscott American pianist and composer (b. 1934)
Year 1999 events in history for the month of February
Historical events for the year 1999 by month