What Happened In December 1999 In History
Historical Events for December, 1999
- 2nd » Glenbrook rail accident named Glenbrook Rail Accident: Seven passengers are killed when two trains collide near Sydney, New South Wales.
- 2nd » The United Kingdom devolves political power in Northern Ireland to the Northern Ireland Executive.
- 3rd » NASA loses radio contact with the Mars Polar Lander moments before the spacecraft enters the Mars e.g Martian atmosphere.
- 3rd » Six firefighters are killed in the Worcester Cold Storage Warehouse fire in Worcester, Massachusetts.
- 7th » 'A&M Records, Inc. v. Napster, Inc., 114 F.Supp.2d 896 e.g A&M Records, Inc. v. Napster, Inc.': The Recording Industry Association of America sues the peer-to-peer file sharing called file-sharing service Napster, alleging copyright infringement.
- 20th » Macau is Transfer of sovereignty over Macau called handed over to China by Portugal.
- 21st » The Civil Guard (Spain) or Spanish Civil Guard intercepts a van loaded with 950 kg of explosives that ETA intended to use to blow up Torre Picasso in Madrid, Spain.
- 22nd » Korean Air Cargo Flight 8509, a Boeing 747 747-200 called Boeing 747-200F crashes shortly after take-off from London Stansted Airport due to pilot error. All 4 crew members are killed.
- 24th » Indian Airlines Flight 814 hijacked in Indian airspace between Kathmandu, Nepal, and Delhi, India; aircraft eventually landed at Kandahar, Afghanistan. Ordeal ended on December 31 with the release of 190 survivors (1 passenger killed).
- 26th » The storm Cyclone Lothar or Lothar sweeps across Central Europe, killing 137 and causing US$1.3 billion in damage.
- 31st » First President of Russia, Boris Yeltsin, resigns from office, leaving Prime Minister of Russia e.g Prime Minister Vladimir Putin as the acting President and successor.
- 31st » The United States Government hands control of the Panama Canal (as well all the adjacent land to the canal known as the Panama Canal Zone) to Panama. This act complied with the signing of the 1977 Torrijos–Carter Treaties.
- 31st » Indian Airlines Flight 814 hijacking ended after seven days with the release of 190 survivors at Kandahar Airport, Afghanistan.
Famous Birthdays on December in 1999
- 22nd » Ameer Idreis, Canadian author
Famous Deaths for December 1999
- 3rd » Scatman John, American singer-songwriter and pianist (b. 1942)
- 3rd » Madeline Kahn, American actress and singer (b. 1942)
- 3rd » Jarl Wahlström, Finnish 12th General of The Salvation Army (b. 1918)
- 4th » Rose Bird, American judge, 25th Chief Justice of California (b. 1936)
- 8th » Péter Kuczka, Hungarian poet and author (b. 1923)
- 10th » Rick Danko, Canadian singer-songwriter, bass player, and producer (The Band) (b. 1942)
- 10th » Lex Goudsmit, Dutch actor and singer (b. 1913)
- 10th » Shirley Hemphill, American actress (b. 1947)
- 10th » Franjo Tuđman, Croatian general, historian, and politician, 1st President of Croatia (b. 1922)
- 12th » Paul Cadmus, American painter and illustrator (b. 1904)
- 12th » Joseph Heller, American author and playwright (b. 1923)
- 14th » Gré Brouwenstijn, Dutch soprano (b. 1915)
- 17th » Rex Allen, American singer-songwriter and actor (b. 1920)
- 17th » Grover Washington, Jr., American singer-songwriter and saxophonist (b. 1943)
- 17th » C. Vann Woodward, American historian and academic (b. 1908)
- 18th » Robert Bresson, French director and screenwriter (b. 1901)
- 19th » Desmond Llewelyn, Welsh-English actor (b. 1914)
- 20th » Riccardo Freda, Egyptian-Italian director and screenwriter (b. 1909)
- 20th » Hank Snow, Canadian-American singer-songwriter and guitarist (b. 1914)
- 24th » Bill Bowerman, American businessman, co-founded Nike, Inc. (b. 1911)
- 24th » Maurice Couve de Murville, French politician, 152nd List of Prime Ministers of France called Prime Minister of France (b. 1907)
- 24th » João Figueiredo, Brazilian general and politician, 30th President of Brazil (b. 1918)
- 25th » Peter Jeffrey, English actor (b. 1929)
- 26th » Curtis Mayfield, American singer-songwriter and producer (The Impressions) (b. 1942)
- 26th » Shankar Dayal Sharma, Indian politician, 9th President of India (b. 1918)
- 28th » Clayton Moore, American actor (b. 1914)
- 29th » Leon Radzinowicz, Polish-English criminologist and academic (b. 1906)
- 30th » Sarah Knauss, American super-centenarian (b. 1880)
- 30th » Fritz Leonhardt, German engineer, co-designed the Cologne Rodenkirchen Bridge and Fernsehturm Stuttgart (b. 1909)
- 31st » Elliot Richardson, American lawyer and politician, 69th United States Attorney General (b. 1920)
Year 1999 events in history for the month of December
Historical events for the year 1999 by month