What Happened In January 1999 In History
Historical Events for January, 1999
- 1st » The Euro currency is introduced in 11 countries - members of the European Union (with the exception of the United Kingdom, Denmark, Greece and Sweden).
- 2nd » A North American blizzard of 1999 brutal snowstorm smashes into the Midwestern United States, causing 14 inches (359 mm) of snow in Milwaukee Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and 19 inches (487 mm) in Chicago Chicago, Illinois, where temperatures plunge to
- 3rd » The 'Mars Polar Lander' is launched.
- 3rd » Israel detains, and later expels, 14 members of Concerned Christians.
- 4th » Former professional wrestler Jesse Ventura is sworn in as governor of Minnesota.
- 7th » The Senate trial in the Impeachment of Bill Clinton called impeachment of U.S. President Bill Clinton begins.
- 10th » Sanjeev Nanda kills three policemen in New Delhi or New Delhi, India with his car, an act for which he was later acquitted, resulting in a sharp drop in public confidence in the Judiciary of India or Indian legal system.
- 14th » Toronto Mayor Mel Lastman becomes the first mayor in Canada to call in the Army to help with emergency medical evacuations and snow removal after more than one meter of snow paralyzes the city.
- 19th » British Aerospace agrees to acquire the defence subsidiary of the General Electric Company plc, forming BAE Systems in November 1999.
- 20th » The China News Service announces new government restrictions on Internet use, aimed especially at Internet cafés.
- 21st » War on Drugs: In one of the largest drug busts in American history, the United States Coast Guard intercepts a ship with over convert 4300 kg lb of cocaine on board.
- 22nd » Australian missionary Graham Staines and his two sons are burned alive by radical Hindus while sleeping in their car in Eastern India.
- 25th » A 6.0 Richter magnitude scale e.g Richter scale 1999 Armenia, Colombia earthquake known as earthquake hits western Colombia killing at least 1,000.
Famous Birthdays on January in 1999
- 5th » Marc Yu, American pianist
- 20th » Shannon Tavarez, American actress and singer (d. 2010)
Famous Deaths for January 1999
- 2nd » Sebastian Haffner, German journalist and author (b. 1907)
- 2nd » Rolf Liebermann, Swiss composer (b. 1910)
- 4th » Iron Eyes Cody, American actor (b. 1904)
- 4th » Jaak Tamm, Estonian politician and businessman (b. 1950)
- 6th » Michel Petrucciani, French pianist (b. 1962)
- 10th » Edward Williams (judge) e.g Edward Williams, Australian judge (b. 1921)
- 12th » Betty Lou Gerson, American voice actress (b. 1914)
- 12th » Doug Wickenheiser, Canadian ice hockey player (b. 1961)
- 14th » Muslimgauze, English DJ and producer (b. 1961)
- 14th » Jerzy Grotowski, Polish director (b. 1933)
- 15th » Betty Box, English composer and producer (b. 1915)
- 16th » Jim McClelland, Australian jurist and politician (b. 1915)
- 17th » Robert Eads, American transsexual man (b. 1945)
- 17th » Samantha Reid, American victim of gamma-Hydroxybutyric acid known as GHB overdose (b. 1984)
- 19th » Ivan Francescato, Italian rugby player (b. 1967)
- 21st » Charles Brown (musician) called Charles Brown, American singer and pianist (b. 1920)
- 21st » Susan Strasberg, American actress (b. 1938)
- 22nd » Graham Staines, Australian missionary (b. 1941)
- 23rd » Jay Pritzker, American businessman (b. 1922)
- 23rd » Lincoln Thompson, Jamaican singer-songwriter (b. 1949)
- 25th » Sarah Louise Delany, American author and educator (b. 1889)
- 25th » Ted Mallie, American radio and television announcer (b. 1924)
- 25th » Robert Shaw (conductor) e.g Robert Shaw, American conductor (b. 1916)
- 28th » Markey Robinson, Irish painter (b. 1918)
- 28th » Torgny T:son Segerstedt or Torgny Torgnysson Segerstedt, Swedish sociologist and philosopher (b. 1908)
- 28th » Valery Gavrilin, Russian composer (b. 1939)
- 29th » Lili St. Cyr, American model and dancer (b. 1918)
- 30th » Huntz Hall, American actor (b. 1919)
- 30th » Ed Herlihy, American journalist (b. 1909)
- 31st » Shohei Baba, Japanese wrestler, co-founded All Japan Pro Wrestling (b. 1938)
- 31st » Barış Manço, Turkish singer-songwriter (Moğollar and Kurtalan Ekspres) (b. 1943)
- 31st » Norm Zauchin, American baseball player (b. 1929)
Year 1999 events in history for the month of January
Historical events for the year 1999 by month