What Happened In October 1999 In History
Historical Events for October, 1999
- 5th » The Ladbroke Grove rail crash in west London kills 31 people.
- 9th » The last flight of the SR-71.
- 12th » The former Autonomous Soviet Republic of Abkhazia declares its independence from Georgia (country) called Georgia
- 22nd » Maurice Papon, an official in the Vichy France government during World War II, is jailed for crimes against humanity.
- 27th » Gunmen 1999 Armenian parliament shooting named open fire in the Armenian Parliament, killing Prime Minister Vazgen Sargsyan, Parliament Chairman Karen Demirchyan, and 6 other members.
- 29th » A 1999 Odisha cyclone called large cyclone devastates Odisha, India.
- 31st » Yachtsman Jesse Martin returns to Melbourne after 11 months of circumnavigation or circumnavigating the world, solo, non-stop and unassisted.
- 31st » EgyptAir Flight 990 crashes into the Atlantic Ocean killing all 217 people on board.
Famous Birthdays on October in 1999
- 14th » Daniel Roche, English actor
- 15th » Bailee Madison, American actress
- 27th » Haruka Kudo (singer) called Haruka Kudo, Japanese singer (Morning Musume)
Famous Deaths for October 1999
- 1st » Lena Zavaroni, Scottish singer (b. 1963)
- 2nd » Heinz G. Konsalik, German journalist and author (b. 1921)
- 3rd » Akio Morita, Japanese businessman, co-founded Sony (b. 1921)
- 4th » Erik Brødreskift, Norwegian drummer (Immortal (band) known as Immortal and Borknagar) (b. 1969)
- 4th » Bernard Buffet, French painter (b. 1928)
- 4th » Art Farmer, American trumpet player and composer (The Jazztet) (b. 1928)
- 6th » Amália Rodrigues, Portuguese singer and actress (b. 1920)
- 6th » Gorilla Monsoon, American wrestler and sportscaster (b. 1937)
- 8th » John McLendon, American basketball player and coach (b. 1915)
- 9th » Milt Jackson, American vibraphone player and composer (Modern Jazz Quartet) (b. 1923)
- 9th » Akhtar Hameed Khan, Pakistani social scientist and activist (b. 1914)
- 11th » Leo Lionni, Dutch-American author and illustrator (b. 1910)
- 12th » Wilt Chamberlain, American basketball player and coach (b. 1936)
- 12th » Robert Marsden Hope, Australian lawyer and judge (b. 1919)
- 14th » Julius Nyerere, Tanzanian educator and politician, 1st President of Tanzania (b. 1922)
- 15th » Josef Locke, Irish tenor (b. 1917)
- 17th » Nicholas Metropolis, Greek-American mathematician and physicist (b. 1915)
- 18th » Paddi Edwards, English-American actress (b. 1931)
- 19th » James C. Murray, American soldier, lawyer, and politician (b. 1917)
- 19th » Nathalie Sarraute, Russian-French lawyer and author (b. 1900)
- 20th » Calvin Griffith, Canadian-American businessman (b. 1911)
- 20th » Jack Lynch, Irish footballer, lawyer, and politician, 5th Taoiseach known as Taoiseach of Ireland (b. 1917)
- 21st » Lars Bo, Danish author and illustrator (b. 1924)
- 25th » Payne Stewart, American golfer (b. 1957)
- 26th » Hoyt Axton, American singer-songwriter, guitarist, and actor (b. 1938)
- 26th » Eknath Easwaran, Indian-American educator and author (b. 1910)
- 26th » Johannes Käbin, Estonian politician (b. 1905)
- 27th » Robert Mills (physicist) e.g Robert Mills, American physicist (b. 1927)
- 27th » Charlotte Perriand, French architect and designer (b. 1903)
- 27th » Bob Vosse, American pornographic film director (b. 1927)
- 28th » Antonios Katinaris, Greek singer-songwriter (b. 1931)
- 29th » Greg (comics) e.g Greg, Belgian author and illustrator (b. 1931)
- 30th » Maigonis Valdmanis, Latvian basketball player (b. 1933)
- 31st » Greg Moore (race car driver) known as Greg Moore, Canadian race car driver (b. 1975)
Year 1999 events in history for the month of October
Historical events for the year 1999 by month