What Happened In 14th August In History
Historical Events for August 14th
- Year 1301 » Andrew III of Hungary dies, ending the Árpád dynasty in Hungary.
- Year 1343 » Arnošt of Pardubice becomes the last List of bishops and archbishops of Prague or bishop of Prague and, subsequently, the first Archbishop of Prague.
- Year 1539 » Spain annexes Cuba.
- Year 1639 » The "Fundamental Orders of Connecticut known as Fundamental Orders", the first written constitution that created a government, is adopted in Connecticut.
- Year 1724 » King Philip V of Spain abdicates the throne.
- Year 1761 » The Battle of Panipat (1761) e.g Third Battle of Panipat is fought in India between the Afghanistan known as Afghans under Ahmad Shah Durrani and the Marhatas.
- Year 1784 » American Revolutionary War: Ratification Day (United States) Ratification Day, United States - Congress ratifies the Treaty of Paris (1783) Treaty of Paris with Kingdom of Great Britain Great Britain.
- Year 1814 » Treaty of Kiel: Frederick VI of Denmark cedes Norway to Sweden in return for Pomerania.
- Year 1822 » Greek War of Independence: Acrocorinth is captured by Theodoros Kolokotronis and Demetrios Ypsilantis.
- Year 1858 » Napoleon III of France escapes an assassination attempt.
- Year 1907 » An 1907 Kingston earthquake known as earthquake in Kingston, Jamaica kills more than 1,000.
- Year 1938 » Norway claims Queen Maud Land in Antarctica.
- Year 1943 » World War II: Franklin D. Roosevelt becomes the first President of the United States to travel by airplane while in office when he travels from Miami to Morocco to meet with Winston Churchill.
- Year 1943 » World War II: Franklin D. Roosevelt and Winston Churchill begin the Casablanca Conference to discuss strategy and study the next phase of the war.
- Year 1943 » World War II: Japan begins Operation Ke, the successful operation to evacuate its forces from Guadalcanal during the Guadalcanal Campaign.
- Year 1950 » The first prototype of the Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-17 called MiG-17 makes its maiden flight.
- Year 1953 » Josip Broz Tito is inaugurated as the first List of heads of state of Yugoslavia known as President of Yugoslavia.
- Year 1954 » The Hudson Motor Car Company merges with Nash-Kelvinator Corporation forming the American Motors Corporation.
- Year 1957 » Kripalu Maharaj was named fifth Jagadguru (world teacher) after giving seven days of speeches before 500 Hindu scholars.
- Year 1969 » An accidental explosion aboard the USS Enterprise CVN-65 6 near Hawaii kills 27 people.
- Year 1972 » Queen Margrethe II of Denmark ascends the throne, the first Queen of Denmark since 1412 and the first Danish monarch not named Frederick or Christian since 1513.
- Year 1975 » Teenage heiress Murder of Lesley Whittle known as Lesley Whittle is kidnapped by Donald Neilson, 'aka' "the Black Panther".
- Year 1999 » Toronto Mayor Mel Lastman becomes the first mayor in Canada to call in the Army to help with emergency medical evacuations and snow removal after more than one meter of snow paralyzes the city.
- Year 2000 » A United Nations tribunal sentences five Croats of Bosnia and Herzegovina known as Bosnian Croats to up to 25 years for the 1993 killing of over 100 Muslims in a Bosnian village.
- Year 2004 » The national flag of The Republic of Georgia (country) e.g Georgia, the so-called "Flag of Georgia (country) called five cross flag", is restored to official use after a hiatus of some 500 years.
- Year 2010 » Al-Qaeda insurgency in Yemen or Yemen declares an open war against the terrorist group al-Qaeda.
- Year 2011 » The former president of Tunisia, Zine El Abidine Ben Ali fled his country to Saudi Arabia after a series of street demonstrations against his regime and corrupt policies, asking for freedom, rights and democracy, considered as the anniversary of the Tunis
- Year 2012 » The Pirate Party of Greece is founded, on the model of the Swedish Pirate Party (Sweden) named Pirate Party.
World History for the Month of August