What Happened In 23rd June In History
Historical Events for June 23rd
- Year 393 » List of Roman Emperors e.g Roman Emperor Theodosius I proclaims his eight-year old son Honorius (emperor) or Honorius co-emperor.
- Year 971 » In China, the war elephant corps of the Southern Han are soundly defeated at Shao by crossbow fire from Song Dynasty troops.
- Year 1368 » In a coronation ceremony, Zhu Yuanzhang ascends to the Emperor of China e.g throne of China as the Hongwu Emperor, initiating Ming Dynasty rule over China that would last for three centuries.
- Year 1546 » Having published nothing for eleven years, François Rabelais publishes the 'Tiers Livre', his sequel to Gargantua and Pantagruel.
- Year 1556 » The deadliest earthquake in history, the 1556 Shaanxi earthquake called Shaanxi earthquake, hits Shaanxi province, China. The death toll may have been as high as 830,000.
- Year 1570 » James Stewart, 1st Earl of Moray, regent for the infant King James VI of Scotland, is assassinated by firearm, the first recorded instance of such.
- Year 1571 » The Royal Exchange (London) known as Royal Exchange opens in London.
- Year 1579 » The Union of Utrecht forms a Protestantism named Protestant republic in the Netherlands.
- Year 1656 » Blaise Pascal publishes the first of his 'Lettres provinciales'.
- Year 1719 » The Principality of Liechtenstein is created within the Holy Roman Empire.
- Year 1789 » Georgetown University named Georgetown College, the first Catholic University in the United States, is founded in Georgetown, Washington, D.C. or Georgetown, Maryland (now a part of Washington, D.C.)
- Year 1793 » Second Partition of Poland.
- Year 1855 » The first bridge over the Mississippi River opens in what is now Minneapolis, Minnesota, a crossing made today by the Hennepin Avenue Bridge.
- Year 1870 » In Montana, U.S. cavalrymen kill 173 Native Americans in the United States e.g Native Americans, mostly women and children, in what becomes known as the Marias Massacre.
- Year 1897 » Elva Zona Heaster is found dead in Greenbrier County, West Virginia. The resulting murder trial of her husband is perhaps the only case in United States history where the alleged testimony of a ghost helped secure a conviction.
- Year 1899 » The Malolos Constitution is inaugurated, establishing the First Philippine Republic.
- Year 1899 » Emilio Aguinaldo is sworn in as President of the Philippines or President of the First Philippine Republic.
- Year 1900 » Second Boer War: The Battle of Spion Kop between the forces of the South African Republic and the Orange Free State and United Kingdom called British forces ends in a British defeat.
- Year 1904 » Ålesund Fire: the Norway Norwegian coastal town Ålesund is devastated by fire, leaving 10,000 people homeless and one person dead. Kaiser William II, German Emperor Wilhelm II funds the rebuilding of the town in Art Nouveau Jugendstil style.
- Year 1909 » RMS Republic 1903 6, a passenger ship of the White Star Line, becomes the first ship to use the CQD distress signal after colliding with another ship, the SS 'Florida', off the Massachusetts coastline, an event that kills six people. The 'Republic' sinks
- Year 1912 » The International Opium Convention is signed at The Hague.
- Year 1920 » The Netherlands refuses to surrender the exiled Wilhelm II, German Emperor named Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany to the Allies of World War I named Allies.
- Year 1941 » Charles Lindbergh testifies before the Congress of the United States e.g U.S. Congress and recommends that the United States negotiate a neutrality pact with Adolf Hitler.
- Year 1942 » World War II: The Battle of Rabaul (1942) e.g Battle of Rabaul begins, the first fighting of the New Guinea campaign.
- Year 1943 » World War II: Australian and American forces finally defeat the Japanese people called Japanese army in Territory of Papua or Papua.
- Year 1943 » Duke Ellington plays at Carnegie Hall in New York City for the first time.
- Year 1943 » World War II: The Battle of Mount Austen, the Galloping Horse, and the Sea Horse on Guadalcanal during the Guadalcanal campaign ends.
- Year 1945 » World War II: German admiral Karl Dönitz launches Operation Hannibal.
- Year 1950 » The Knesset passes a resolution that states Jerusalem is the capital of Israel.
- Year 1957 » American inventor Walter Frederick Morrison sells the rights to his flying disc to the Wham-O toy company, which later renames it the "Frisbee".
- Year 1958 » After a general uprising and rioting in the streets, President of Venezuela known as President Marcos Pérez Jiménez leaves Venezuela.
- Year 1960 » The bathyscaphe Bathyscaphe Trieste USS 'Trieste' breaks a depth record by descending to Convert 10911 m ft in the Pacific Ocean.
- Year 1961 » The Portugal Portuguese luxury cruise ship 'Santa Maria' is Santa Maria hijacking hijacked by opponents of the Estado Novo (Portugal) Estado Novo regime with the intention of waging war until dictator António de Oliveira Salazar is overthrown.
- Year 1963 » The Guinea-Bissau War of Independence officially begins when PAIGC guerrilla fighters attack the Portuguese army stationed in Tite (Guinea-Bissau) named Tite.
- Year 1964 » The Twenty-fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution called 24th Amendment to the United States Constitution, prohibiting the use of poll taxes in national elections, is ratified.
- Year 1967 » Milton Keynes (England) is founded as a New towns in the United Kingdom called new town by Order in Council, with a planning brief to become a city of 250,000 people. Its initial designated area enclosed three existing towns and twenty one villages.
- Year 1968 » North Korea seizes the USS Pueblo AGER-2 6, claiming the ship had violated its territorial waters while spying.
- Year 1973 » President of the United States or President Richard Nixon announces that a peace accord has been reached in Vietnam.
- Year 1973 » A volcano or volcanic eruption devastates Heimaey in the Vestmannaeyjar chain of islands off the south coast of Iceland.
- Year 1986 » The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducts its first members: Little Richard, Chuck Berry, James Brown, Ray Charles, Fats Domino, the Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis Presley.
- Year 1997 » Greek Serial Killer Antonis Daglis is sentenced to thirteen consecutive life sentences, plus 25 years for the serial slayings of three women and the attempted murder of six others.
- Year 1997 » Madeleine Albright becomes the first woman to serve as United States Secretary of State.
- Year 2002 » "American Taliban" John Walker Lindh returns to the United States in Federal Bureau of Investigation e.g FBI custody.
- Year 2002 » Reporter Daniel Pearl is kidnapping known as kidnapped in Karachi, Pakistan and subsequently murdered .
- Year 2003 » Final communication between Earth and Pioneer 10.
- Year 2012 » A group of Muammar Gaddafi Gaddafi loyalists take control of part of the town of Bani Walid and fly the Flag of Libya green flag after a 2012 Bani Walid uprising battle with NTC forces left 5 dead and 20 injured.
World History for the Month of June