What Happened In 3rd June In History
Historical Events for June 3rd
- Year 1431 » Joan of Arc is defeated by Roman Catholic Diocese of Beauvais e.g Bishop Pierre Cauchon.
- Year 1521 » Pope Leo X excommunicates Martin Luther in the papal bull 'Decet Romanum Pontificem'.
- Year 1653 » By the Coonan Cross Oath, the Eastern Christianity named Eastern Church in India cuts itself off from colonial Portugal called Portuguese tutelage.
- Year 1749 » Benning Wentworth issues the first of the New Hampshire Grants, leading to the establishment of Vermont.
- Year 1777 » United States American General (United States) General George Washington defeats Kingdom of Great Britain British General (United Kingdom) General Charles Cornwallis, 1st Marquess Cornwallis Lord Cornwallis at the Battle of Princeton.
- Year 1815 » Austria, the United Kingdom, and France form a secret defensive alliance against Prussia and Russia.
- Year 1823 » Stephen F. Austin receives a grant of land in Texas from the government of Mexico.
- Year 1848 » Joseph Jenkins Roberts is sworn in as the first President of Liberia e.g president of the independent African Liberia.
- Year 1861 » American Civil War: Delaware votes not to secede from the United States.
- Year 1868 » Meiji Restoration in Japan: The Tokugawa shogunate is abolished; agents of Satsuma and Chōshū seize power.
- Year 1870 » Construction of the Brooklyn Bridge begins.
- Year 1885 » Sino-French War: Beginning of the Battle of Núi Bop
- Year 1888 » The refracting telescope at the Lick Observatory, measuring 91 cm in diameter, is used for the first time. It was the largest telescope in the world at the time.
- Year 1911 » A 1911 Kebin earthquake called magnitude 7.7 earthquake destroys the city of Almaty in Russian Turkestan.
- Year 1919 » At the Paris Peace Conference, 1919 Paris Peace Conference, Emir Faisal I of Iraq signs Faisal–Weizmann Agreement an agreement with Zionism Zionist leader Chaim Weizmann on the development of a Jewish homeland in Palestine and an Arab nation in a large pa
- Year 1925 » Benito Mussolini announces he is taking dictatorial powers over Italy.
- Year 1932 » Martial law is declared in Honduras to stop a revolt by banana workers fired by the United Fruit Company.
- Year 1933 » Minnie D. Craig becomes the first female elected as List of Speakers of the North Dakota House of Representatives called Speaker of the North Dakota House of Representatives, the first female to hold a Speaker (politics) or Speaker position anywhere in th
- Year 1938 » The March of Dimes is established by President of the United States known as President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- Year 1944 » World War II: Top Ace Major Pappy Boyington or Greg "Pappy" Boyington is shot down in his Vought F4U Corsair by Captain List of World War II aces from Japan known as Masajiro Kawato flying a Mitsubishi A6M Zero.
- Year 1945 » World War II: Admiral Chester W. Nimitz is placed in command of all United States Navy known as U.S. Naval forces in preparation for planned assaults against Iwo Jima and Okinawa Prefecture or Okinawa in Japan.
- Year 1946 » Popular Canadian American jockey George Woolf dies in a freak accident during a race; the annual George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award is created to honor him.
- Year 1947 » Proceedings of the United States Congress called U.S. Congress are televised for the first time.
- Year 1949 » The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas, the central bank of the Philippines, is established.
- Year 1953 » Frances P. Bolton and her son, Oliver P. Bolton named Oliver from Ohio, become the first mother and son to serve simultaneously in the U.S. Congress.
- Year 1956 » A fire damages the top part of the Eiffel Tower.
- Year 1957 » The Hamilton Watch Company introduces the first electric watch.
- Year 1958 » The West Indies Federation is formed.
- Year 1959 » Separatists in the Maldives declare the establishment of the United Suvadive Republic.
- Year 1959 » Alaska is admitted as the 49th U.S. state.
- Year 1961 » A core explosion and meltdown at the SL-1, a government-run reactor near Idaho Falls, Idaho, kills three workers.
- Year 1962 » Pope John XXIII excommunicates Fidel Castro.
- Year 1976 » The International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights comes into effect.
- Year 1977 » Apple Inc. named Apple Computer is incorporated.
- Year 1990 » Former leader of Panama Manuel Noriega surrenders to American forces.
- Year 1993 » In Moscow, Russia, George H. W. Bush e.g George Bush and Boris Yeltsin sign the second START II or Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START).
- Year 1994 » More than seven million people from the former Apartheid in South Africa known as Apartheid Bantustan known as Homelands, receive South African citizenship.
- Year 1996 » The Motorola StarTAC, the first Flip (form) e.g flip phone and one of the first mobile phones to gain widespread consumer adoption, goes on sale.
- Year 1997 » China announces it will spend United States dollar called US$27.7 billion to fight erosion and pollution in the Yangtze River known as Yangtze and Yellow River valleys.
- Year 1999 » Israel detains, and later expels, 14 members of Concerned Christians.
- Year 1999 » The 'Mars Polar Lander' is launched.
- Year 2000 » The last original weekday 'Peanuts' comic strip is published.
- Year 2002 » Israeli forces seize the Palestinian freighter 'Karine A Affair or Karine A' in the Red Sea, finding 50 tons of weapons.
- Year 2004 » Flash Airlines Flight 604 crashes into the Red Sea, resulting in 148 deaths, making it the deadliest aviation accident in Egyptian history.
- Year 2009 » The first block of the blockchain of the decentralized payment system Bitcoin, called the 'Genesis block', was established by the creator of the system, Satoshi Nakamoto.
World History for the Month of June