What Happened In 2nd June In History
Historical Events for June 2nd
- Year 366 » The Alemanni cross the frozen Rhine River in large numbers, invading the Roman Empire.
- Year 533 » Mercurius becomes Pope John II, the first pope to adopt a new name upon elevation to the Pope called papacy.
- Year 1492 » Reconquista: the Emirate of Granada, the last Moors or Moorish stronghold in Spain, surrenders.
- Year 1777 » American Revolutionary War: United States or American forces under the command of George Washington repulsed a Kingdom of Great Britain named British attack at the Battle of the Assunpink Creek near Trenton, New Jersey.
- Year 1788 » Georgia (U.S. state) or Georgia becomes the fourth state to ratify the United States Constitution.
- Year 1791 » Big Bottom massacre in the Ohio Country, marking the beginning of the Northwest Indian War.
- Year 1818 » The British Institution of Civil Engineers is founded.
- Year 1833 » Reassertion of British sovereignty over the Falkland Islands (1833) or Reassertion of British sovereignty over the Falkland Islands.
- Year 1860 » The discovery of the planet Vulcan (hypothetical planet) e.g Vulcan is announced at a meeting of the French Academy of Sciences in Paris named Paris, France.
- Year 1865 » Uruguayan War: The Siege of Paysandú ends as Empire of Brazil e.g Brazilian and Colorado Party (Uruguay) e.g Coloradans capture Paysandú, Uruguay.
- Year 1871 » Amadeo I of Spain e.g Amadeus I becomes Monarchy of Spain or King of Spain.
- Year 1900 » American Statesman and diplomat John Hay announces the Open Door Policy to promote trade with China.
- Year 1905 » Russo-Japanese War: The Russian garrison surrenders at Lüshunkou District named Port Arthur, China.
- Year 1911 » A Siege of Sidney Street known as gun battle in the East End of London left two dead and sparked a political row over the involvement of then-Home Secretary Winston Churchill.
- Year 1920 » The second Palmer Raids e.g Palmer Raid takes place with another 6,000 suspected communists and anarchists arrested and held without trial. These raids take place in several U.S. cities.
- Year 1927 » Angered by the anti-clerical provisions of the Constitution of Mexico or Mexican Constitution of 1917, Catholic rebels in Mexico Cristero War or rebelled against the government.
- Year 1935 » Richard Hauptmann named Bruno Hauptmann goes on trial for the murder of Lindbergh kidnapping known as Charles Lindbergh, Jr., infant son of aviator Charles Lindbergh.
- Year 1941 » World War II: Strategic bombing during World War II named German bombing severely damages the Llandaff Cathedral in Cardiff named Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom.
- Year 1942 » World War II: Manila, Philippines is captured by Japanese forces.
- Year 1942 » The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) convicts 33 members of a German spy ring headed by Fritz Joubert Duquesne in the largest espionage case in United States history—the Duquesne Spy Ring.
- Year 1945 » World War II: Nuremberg, Germany (in German, Nürnberg) is severely bombed by Allies of World War II e.g Allied forces.
- Year 1949 » Luis Muñoz Marín becomes the first democratically elected Governor of Puerto Rico.
- Year 1955 » Panamanian president José Antonio Remón Cantera is assassinated.
- Year 1959 » 'Luna 1', the first spacecraft to reach the vicinity of the Moon and to orbit the Sun, is launched by the Soviet Union.
- Year 1963 » Vietnam War: The Viet Cong wins its first major victory in the Battle of Ap Bac.
- Year 1967 » Ronald Reagan sworn in as Governor of California
- Year 1971 » The second 1971 Ibrox disaster Ibrox disaster kills 66 fans at a Rangers F.C. Rangers-Celtic F.C. Celtic association football (soccer) match.
- Year 1974 » President of the United States known as United States President Richard Nixon signs a National Maximum Speed Law Enactment e.g bill lowering the maximum U.S. speed limit to 55 MPH in order to conserve gasoline during an OPEC embargo.
- Year 1975 » Bangladeshi Marxist leader Siraj Sikder is arrested and dies while in police custody.
- Year 1975 » A bomb blast at Samastipur, Bihar, India, fatally wounds Minister of Railways (India) named Minister of Railways Lalit Narayan Mishra.
- Year 1976 » The Gale of January 1976 begins, which results in coastal flooding around the southern North Sea coasts, resulting in at least 82 deaths and US$1.3 billion in damage.
- Year 1981 » One of the largest investigations by a British police force ends when serial killer Peter Sutcliffe, the "Yorkshire Ripper", is arrested in Sheffield, South Yorkshire.
- Year 1992 » Leaders of armed opposition declare the President of Georgia e.g President Zviad Gamsakhurdia deposed during a military coup in Georgia (country) called Georgia.
- Year 1993 » Sri Lankan Civil War: The Sri Lanka Navy Jaffna lagoon massacre named kill 35-100 civilians on the Jaffna Lagoon.
- Year 1999 » A North American blizzard of 1999 brutal snowstorm smashes into the Midwestern United States, causing 14 inches (359 mm) of snow in Milwaukee Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and 19 inches (487 mm) in Chicago Chicago, Illinois, where temperatures plunge to
- Year 2004 » 'Stardust (spacecraft) called Stardust' successfully flies past Comet 81P/Wild or Wild 2, collecting samples that are returned to Earth.
- Year 2006 » An Sago Mine disaster or explosion in a coal mine in Sago, West Virginia traps and kills 12 miners, while leaving one miner in critical condition.
World History for the Month of June