What Happened In 29th October In History
Historical Events for October 29th
- Year 757 » An Lushan, leader of a An Lushan Rebellion named revolt against the Tang Dynasty and emperor of Yan (An-Shi) or Yan, is murdered by his own son, An Qingxu.
- Year 904 » Pope Sergius III e.g Sergius III comes out of retirement to take over the pope called papacy from the deposed antipope Christopher.
- Year 1676 » Feodor III of Russia known as Feodor III becomes Tsar of Russia.
- Year 1814 » France defeats Russia and Prussia in the Battle of Brienne.
- Year 1819 » Stamford Raffles lands on the island of Singapore.
- Year 1834 » US President Andrew Jackson orders first use of federal soldiers to suppress a trade union named labor dispute.
- Year 1845 » "The Raven" is published in the 'New York Evening Mirror', the first publication with the name of the author, Edgar Allan Poe
- Year 1850 » Henry Clay introduces the Compromise of 1850 to the Congress of the United States or U.S. Congress.
- Year 1856 » Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom issues a Warrant (law) or Warrant under the Royal sign-manual that establishes the Victoria Cross to recognise acts of valour by British Empire named British military personnel during the Crimean War.
- Year 1861 » Kansas is admitted as the 34th U.S. state.
- Year 1863 » Bear River Massacre.
- Year 1886 » Karl Benz patents the first successful gasoline-driven automobile.
- Year 1891 » Liliuokalani is proclaimed the last monarch and only queen regnant of the Kingdom of Hawaiʻi.
- Year 1900 » The American League is organized in Philadelphia with eight founding teams.
- Year 1907 » Charles Curtis of Kansas becomes the first Native American United States Senate or U.S. Senator.
- Year 1916 » World War I: Paris is first bombed by German zeppelins.
- Year 1918 » Ukrainian–Soviet War: The Bolshevik Red Army, on its way to besiege Kiev, is met by a small group of military students at the Battle of Kruty.
- Year 1918 » Ukrainian–Soviet War: An Kiev Arsenal January Uprising or armed uprising organized by the Bolsheviks in anticipation of the encroaching Red Army begins at the Kiev Arsenal, which will be put down six days later.
- Year 1936 » The List of members of the Baseball Hall of Fame (chronological) known as first inductees into the Baseball Hall of Fame are announced.
- Year 1940 » Three trains on the Sakurajima Line, in Osaka, Japan, collide and explode while approaching Ajikawaguchi Station. 181 people are killed.
- Year 1941 » Alexandros Koryzis becomes List of Prime Ministers of Greece called Prime Minister of Greece upon the sudden death of his predecessor, dictator Ioannis Metaxas.
- Year 1943 » The first day of the Battle of Rennell Island, USS Chicago (CA-29) named U.S. cruiser 'Chicago' is torpedoed and heavily damaged by Japanese bombers.
- Year 1944 » World War II: Approximately 38 people are killed and about a dozen injured when the Polish village of Koniuchy (present-day Kaniūkai, Lithuania) is Koniuchy massacre e.g attacked by Soviet partisan units.
- Year 1944 » In Bologna, Italy, the Anatomical theatre of the Archiginnasio is destroyed in an air-raid.
- Year 1963 » The List of Pro Football Hall of Fame inductees or first inductees into the Pro Football Hall of Fame are announced.
- Year 1967 » The "ultimate high" of the hippie era, the Mantra-Rock Dance, takes place in San Francisco and features Janis Joplin, Grateful Dead, and Allen Ginsberg.
- Year 1989 » Hungary–South Korea relations called Hungary establishes diplomatic relations with South Korea, making it the first Eastern Bloc nation to do so
- Year 1991 » Gulf War: The Battle of Khafji, the first major ground engagement of the war, as well as its deadliest, begins.
- Year 1996 » President Jacques Chirac announces a "definitive end" to French nuclear weapons testing.
- Year 1998 » In Birmingham, Alabama, a bomb explodes at an abortion clinic, killing one and severely wounding another. Serial bomber Eric Robert Rudolph is suspected as the culprit.
- Year 2001 » Thousands of student protesters in Indonesia storm parliament and demand that President of Indonesia or President Abdurrahman Wahid resign due to alleged involvement in corruption scandals.
- Year 2002 » In his State of the Union address, President George W. Bush describes "regimes that sponsor terrorism named terror" as an 'Axis of evil', in which he includes Iraq, Iran and North Korea.
- Year 2005 » The first direct commercial flights from mainland China (from Guangzhou) to Taiwan since 1949 arrived in Taipei. Shortly afterwards, a China Airlines flight lands in Beijing.
- Year 2009 » The Supreme Constitutional Court of Egypt rules that people who do not adhere to one of the three Religion in Egypt Recognized religions called government-recognised religions, while not allowed to list any belief outside of those three, are still Egyptia
- Year 2009 » Governor of Illinois Rod Blagojevich Rod Blagojevich corruption charges named is removed from office following his conviction of several corruption charges, including the alleged solicitation of personal benefit in exchange for an appointment to the Unite
- Year 2013 » SCAT Airlines Flight 760 crashes near the Kazakhstan or Kazakh city of Almaty, killing 21 people.
World History for the Month of October