What Happened In 21st October In History
Historical Events for October 21st
- Year 763 » The Battle of Bakhamra between Alids and Abbasids near Kufa ends in a decisive Abbasid victory.
- Year 1535 » Following the Affair of the Placards, French Protestants are burned at the stake in front of the Cathedral of Notre-Dame de Paris
- Year 1720 » Sweden and Kingdom of Prussia named Prussia sign the Treaty of Stockholm (Great Northern War) e.g Treaty of Stockholm.
- Year 1749 » The Teatro Filarmonico (Verona) known as Teatro Filarmonico in Verona is destroyed by fire. It is rebuilt in 1754.
- Year 1789 » The first American novel, The Power of Sympathy named 'The Power of Sympathy or the Triumph of Nature Founded in Truth', is printed in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Year 1793 » After being found guilty of treason by the French Convention, Louis XVI of France is executed by guillotine.
- Year 1861 » American Civil War: Jefferson Davis resigns from the United States Senate.
- Year 1864 » The Tauranga Campaign begins during the Maori Wars.
- Year 1887 » Convert 465 mm in of rain falls in Brisbane, a record for any Australian capital city.
- Year 1893 » The Tati Concessions Land, formerly part of Matabeleland, is formally annexed to the Bechuanaland Protectorate, now Botswana.
- Year 1899 » Opel manufactures its first automobile.
- Year 1908 » New York City passes the Sullivan Ordinance, making it illegal for women to smoke in public, only to have the measure vetoed by the mayor.
- Year 1911 » The first Monte Carlo Rally takes place.
- Year 1915 » Kiwanis International is founded in Detroit, Michigan.
- Year 1925 » Albania declares itself a republic.
- Year 1931 » Sir Isaac Isaacs is sworn in as the first Australian-born Governor-General of Australia.
- Year 1948 » The Flag of Quebec is adopted and flown for the first time over the National Assembly of Quebec. The day is marked annually as Quebec Flag Day.
- Year 1950 » American lawyer and government official Alger Hiss is convicted of perjury.
- Year 1954 » The first nuclear marine propulsion nuclear-powered submarine, the USS Nautilus SSN-571 6, is Ship naming and launching launched in Groton, Connecticut by Mamie Eisenhower, the First Lady of the United States.
- Year 1958 » The last Fokker C.X in military service, the Finnish Air Force FK-111 target tower, crashes, killing the pilot and winch-operator.
- Year 1960 » Little Joe 1B, a Project Mercury Mercury spacecraft, lifts off from Wallops Island, Virginia with Monkeys in space Miss Sam, a female Rhesus Macaque rhesus monkey on board.
- Year 1961 » 435 workers are buried alive when a mine in Coalbrook, Free State collapses.
- Year 1968 » Vietnam War: Battle of Khe Sanh One of the most publicized and controversial battles of the war begins.
- Year 1968 » A B-52 bomber 1968 Thule Air Base B-52 crash e.g crashes near Thule Air Base, contaminating the area after its nuclear payload ruptures. One of the four bombs remains unaccounted for after the cleanup operation is complete.
- Year 1971 » The current Emley Moor transmitting station, the tallest free-standing structure in the United Kingdom, begins transmitting UHF broadcasts.
- Year 1976 » Commercial service of 'Concorde' begins with the Concorde Scheduled flights e.g London-Bahrain and Paris-Rio routes.
- Year 1977 » President of the United States Jimmy Carter pardons nearly all United States or American Vietnam War draft evaders, some of whom had emigrated to Canada.
- Year 1981 » Production of the iconic DeLorean DMC-12 sports car begins in Dunmurry, Northern Ireland.
- Year 1997 » The U.S. House of Representatives votes 395–28 to reprimand Newt Gingrich for ethics violations, making him the first Speaker of the House to be so disciplined.
- Year 1999 » War on Drugs: In one of the largest drug busts in American history, the United States Coast Guard intercepts a ship with over convert 4300 kg lb of cocaine on board.
- Year 2000 » Ecuador: After the Ecuadorian Congress is seized by indigenous organizations, Col. Lucio Gutierrez, Carlos Solorzano and Antonio Vargas depose President Jamil Mahuad. Gutierrez is later replaced by Gen. Carlos Mendoza, who resigns and allows Vice-Preside
- Year 2003 » A 7.6 magnitude 2003 Colima earthquake known as earthquake strikes the Mexican state of Colima, killing 29 and leaving approximately 10,000 people homeless.
World History for the Month of October