What Happened In 4th September In History
Historical Events for September 4th
- Year 46 » Julius Caesar defeats Titus Labienus in the Battle of Ruspina.
- Year 871 » Battle of Reading (871) called Battle of Reading: Æthelred of Wessex fights, and is defeated by, a Denmark named Danish invasion army.
- Year 1490 » Anne of Brittany announces that all those who would ally with the List of French monarchs or King of France will be considered guilty of the crime of Lese-majesty.
- Year 1649 » English Civil War: The Rump Parliament votes to put Charles I on trial.
- Year 1717 » The Dutch Republic Netherlands, Kingdom of Great Britain Great Britain, and France sign the Triple Alliance (1717) Triple Alliance.
- Year 1762 » Great Britain declares war on Spain and Naples.
- Year 1798 » Constantine Hangerli arrives in Bucharest, Wallachia, as its new Prince of Wallachia called Prince, invested by the Ottoman Empire.
- Year 1847 » Samuel Colt sells his first revolver pistol to the United States government.
- Year 1854 » The Heard Island and McDonald Islands known as McDonald Islands are discovered by Captain William McDonald aboard the 'Samarang'.
- Year 1863 » The New Apostolic Church, a Christian and Premillennialism e.g chiliastic church, is established in Hamburg, Germany.
- Year 1865 » The New York Stock Exchange opens its first permanent headquarters at 10-12 Broad near Wall Street in New York City named New York, New York.
- Year 1878 » Sofia is emancipated from Ottoman Empire or Ottoman rule.
- Year 1884 » The Fabian Society is founded in London e.g London, England, United Kingdom.
- Year 1889 » The Oklahoma Land Run opens 2 million acres of unused Oklahoma Territory to first serve first come settlers on April 22.
- Year 1896 » Utah is admitted as the 45th U.S. state.
- Year 1912 » The Scout Association is incorporated throughout the Commonwealth of Nations or British Commonwealth by Royal charter.
- Year 1944 » World War II: Operation Carpetbagger, involving the dropping of arms and supplies to resistance fighters in Europe, begins.
- Year 1948 » Burma gains its independence from the United Kingdom.
- Year 1951 » Korean War: China called Chinese and North Korean forces Third Battle of Seoul known as capture Seoul.
- Year 1955 » The Greece named Greek National Radical Union is formed by Konstantinos Karamanlis.
- Year 1958 » 'Sputnik 1' falls to Earth from orbit.
- Year 1959 » 'Luna 1' becomes the first spacecraft to reach the vicinity of the Moon.
- Year 1965 » President of the United States called United States President Lyndon B. Johnson proclaims his "Great Society" during his State of the Union address.
- Year 1966 » A military coup takes place in French Upper Volta named Upper Volta (later Burkina Faso), dissolving the National Parliament and leading to a new national constitution.
- Year 1970 » A 1970 Tonghai earthquake named magnitude 7.7 earthquake strikes Tonghai County, China, killing at least 15,000 people.
- Year 1972 » Rose Heilbron becomes the first female judge to sit at the Old Bailey in London, England.
- Year 1974 » United States President Richard Nixon refuses to hand over materials subpoenaed by the Senate Watergate scandal e.g Watergate Committee.
- Year 1987 » The 1987 Maryland train collision: An Amtrak train 'en route' to Boston named Boston, Massachusetts from Washington, D.C., collides with Conrail engines in Chase, Maryland, killing 16 people.
- Year 1989 » Gulf of Sidra incident (1989) Second Gulf of Sidra incident: a pair of Libyan Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-23 MiG-23 "Floggers" are shot down by a pair of United States Navy US Navy Grumman F-14 Tomcat F-14 Tomcats during an air-to-air confrontation.
- Year 1998 » North American Ice Storm of 1998 known as A massive ice storm hits eastern Canada and the northeastern United States, continuing through January 10 and causing widespread destruction.
- Year 1998 » Wilaya of Relizane massacres of 4 January 1998 called Wilaya of Relizane massacres in Algeria: over 170 are killed in three remote villages.
- Year 1999 » Former professional wrestler Jesse Ventura is sworn in as governor of Minnesota.
- Year 2000 » Two trains on the Røros Line Åsta accident named collide in Åsta, Norway, resulting in an explosive fire and 19 deaths.
- Year 2004 » Spirit rover e.g 'Spirit', a NASA Mars rover, lands successfully on Mars at 04:35 Coordinated Universal Time known as UTC.
- Year 2004 » Mikheil Saakashvili is Georgian presidential election, 2004 e.g elected President of Georgia following the November 2003 Rose Revolution.
- Year 2006 » Prime Minister of Israel named Prime Minister Ariel Sharon of Israel suffers a second, apparently more serious stroke. His authority is transferred to acting Prime Minister Ehud Olmert.
- Year 2007 » The 110th United States Congress convenes, electing Nancy Pelosi as the first female Speaker of the United States House of Representatives or Speaker of the House in U.S. history.
- Year 2013 » A gunman Kawit shooting named kills eight people in a house-to-house rampage in Kawit, Cavite called Kawit, the Philippines.
World History for the Month of September