What Happened In 7th April In History
Historical Events for April 7th
- Year 1325 » Afonso IV of Portugal called Alfonso IV becomes King of Portugal.
- Year 1558 » France takes Siege of Calais (1558) or Calais, the last continental possession of Kingdom of England called England.
- Year 1608 » Fire destroys Jamestown, Virginia.
- Year 1610 » Galileo Galilei makes his first observation of the four Galilean moons: Ganymede (moon) Ganymede, Callisto (moon) Callisto, Io (moon) Io and Europa (moon) Europa, although he is not able to distinguish the last two until the following day.
- Year 1782 » The first American commercial bank, the Bank of North America, opens.
- Year 1785 » Frenchman Jean-Pierre Blanchard and American John Jeffries travel from Dover called Dover, England, to Calais e.g Calais, France, in a gas balloon.
- Year 1797 » The modern Flag of Italy named Italian flag is first used.
- Year 1835 » HMS e.g Beagle drops anchor off the Chonos Archipelago.
- Year 1894 » William Kennedy Dickson receives a patent for film called motion picture film.
- Year 1904 » The distress signal "CQD" is established only to be replaced two years later by "SOS".
- Year 1919 » Montenegro or Montenegrin guerrilla fighters Christmas Uprising known as rebel against the planned annexation of Montenegro by Serbia, but fail.
- Year 1920 » The New York State Assembly refuses to seat five duly elected Socialist Party of America named Socialist assemblymen.
- Year 1922 » Dáil Éireann ratifies the Anglo-Irish Treaty by a 64-57 vote.
- Year 1927 » The first transatlantic telephone service is established from New York City named New York, New York to London named London, United Kingdom.
- Year 1935 » Benito Mussolini and French Foreign minister Pierre Laval sign the Franco-Italian Agreement.
- Year 1940 » Winter War: The Finnish 9th Division Battle of Raate Road named stops and completely destroys the overwhelming Soviet forces on the Raate-Suomussalmi road.
- Year 1942 » World War II: The Battle of Bataan or siege of the Bataan Peninsula begins.
- Year 1945 » World War II: United Kingdom or British General Bernard Montgomery, 1st Viscount Montgomery of Alamein known as Bernard Montgomery holds a press conference in which he claims credit for victory in the Battle of the Bulge.
- Year 1948 » Kentucky Air National Guard pilot Thomas Mantell crashes while Mantell UFO incident or in pursuit of a supposed unidentified flying object e.g UFO.
- Year 1954 » Georgetown-IBM experiment: the first public demonstration of a machine translation system, is held in New York at the head office of IBM.
- Year 1959 » The United States recognizes the new Cuban government of Fidel Castro.
- Year 1960 » The UGM-27 Polaris called Polaris missile is test launched.
- Year 1968 » Surveyor Program: 'Surveyor 7', the last spacecraft in the Surveyor series, lifts off from Spaceport Florida Launch Complex 36 e.g launch complex 36A, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station or Cape Canaveral.
- Year 1970 » The Punjab Legislative Council (Abolition) Act, 1969 comes into effect.
- Year 1979 » Sino-Vietnamese War or Third Indochina War Cambodian–Vietnamese War: Phnom Penh falls to the advancing Vietnamese troops, driving out Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge.
- Year 1980 » U.S. President Jimmy Carter authorizes legislation giving $1.5 billion in loans to bail out the Chrysler Corporation.
- Year 1984 » Brunei becomes the sixth member of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
- Year 1989 » Prince Akihito is sworn in as the emperor of Japan after the death of his father Hirohito
- Year 1990 » The interior of the Leaning Tower of Pisa is closed to the public for safety reasons.
- Year 1993 » The History of Ghana Recent events e.g Fourth Republic of Ghana is inaugurated with Jerry Rawlings as President.
- Year 1993 » Bosnian War: The Armed Forces of Bosnia and Herzegovina named Bosnian Army executes a Kravica attack (1993) known as surprise attack on the village of Kravica in Srebrenica.
- Year 1999 » The Senate trial in the Impeachment of Bill Clinton called impeachment of U.S. President Bill Clinton begins.
- Year 2005 » The St Lawrence Lime is blown over in high winds.
- Year 2010 » Muslim gunmen in Egypt Nag Hammadi massacre e.g open fire on a crowd of Copts or Coptic Christians, killing eight of them and one Muslim bystander.
- Year 2012 » A hot air balloon 2012 Carterton hot air balloon crash e.g crashes near Carterton, New Zealand, killing all 11 people on board.
World History for the Month of April