What Happened In 24th January In History
Historical Events for January 24th
- Year 1438 » The Council of Basel suspends Pope Eugene IV.
- Year 1458 » Matthias I Corvinus of Hungary called Matthias I Corvinus becomes king of Hungary.
- Year 1624 » Afonso Mendes, appointed by Pope Gregory XV as Prelate of Ethiopia, arrives at Massawa from Goa.
- Year 1679 » King Charles II of England dissolves the Cavalier Parliament.
- Year 1742 » Charles VII, Holy Roman Emperor or Charles VII Albert becomes Holy Roman Emperor.
- Year 1817 » Crossing of the Andes: Many soldiers of Juan Gregorio de las Heras are captured during the Action of Picheuta.
- Year 1835 » Slaves in Salvador da Bahia, Brazil, Malê Revolt known as stage a revolt, which is instrumental in ending slavery there 50 years later.
- Year 1857 » The University of Calcutta is formally founded as the first fully-fledged university in South Asia.
- Year 1859 » Political and state union of Moldavia and Wallachia; Alexandru Ioan Cuza is elected as Domnitor in both United Principalities called Principalities.
- Year 1862 » Bucharest is proclaimed the capital of Romania.
- Year 1878 » The revolutionary Vera Zasulich shoots at Fyodor Trepov, the Governor of Saint Petersburg.
- Year 1900 » Second Boer War: Boers stop a British attempt to break the Siege of Ladysmith in the Battle of Spion Kop.
- Year 1908 » The first Boy Scout troop is organized in England by Robert Baden-Powell.
- Year 1911 » Japanese anarchist Shūsui Kōtoku is hanged for treason in a case now considered a miscarriage of justice.
- Year 1916 » In 'Brushaber v. Union Pacific Railroad', the Supreme Court of the United States declares the federal income tax constitutional.
- Year 1933 » The Twentieth Amendment to the United States Constitution known as 20th Amendment to the United States Constitution is ratified, changing the beginning and end of terms for all elected federal offices.
- Year 1939 » The 1939 Chillán earthquake e.g deadliest earthquake in Chilean history strikes Chillán, killing approximately 28,000 people.
- Year 1942 » World War II: The Allies of World War II known as Allies bombard Bangkok, leading Thailand, then under Japanese control, to declare war against the United States and United Kingdom.
- Year 1943 » World War II: Franklin D. Roosevelt and Winston Churchill conclude a Casablanca Conference called conference in Casablanca.
- Year 1946 » The United Nations General Assembly passes its first resolution to establish the United Nations Atomic Energy Commission.
- Year 1947 » Greek banker Dimitrios Maximos becomes Prime Minister of Greece.
- Year 1960 » Algerian War: Some units of European volunteers in Algiers stage an insurrection known as the "barricades week", during which they seize government buildings and clash with local police.
- Year 1961 » 1961 Goldsboro B-52 crash: A bomber carrying two H-bombs breaks up in mid-air over North Carolina. The uranium core of one weapon remains lost.
- Year 1972 » Japanese Sgt. Shoichi Yokoi is found hiding in a Guam jungle, where he had been Japanese holdout named since the end of World War II.
- Year 1977 » 1977 Massacre of Atocha or Massacre of Atocha in Madrid, during the Spanish transition to democracy.
- Year 1984 » The first Apple Macintosh goes on sale.
- Year 1986 » Voyager 2 passes within convert 81500 km mi of Uranus.
- Year 1993 » Turkey known as Turkish journalist and writer Uğur Mumcu is assassinated by a car bomb in Ankara.
- Year 1996 » Poland called Polish Prime Minister of Poland named Prime Minister Józef Oleksy resigns amid charges that he spied for Moscow.
- Year 2003 » The United States Department of Homeland Security officially begins operation.
- Year 2009 » The storm Klaus (storm) e.g Klaus makes landfall near Bordeaux, France. It subsequently would cause 26 deaths as well as extensive disruptions to public transport and power supplies.
- Year 2014 » Three bombs January 2014 Cairo bombings named explode in the Egyptian capital, Cairo, killing about 7 people and injuring over 100 others.
- Year 2014 » The Philippines and the Moro people known as Bangsamoro agree to a Peace process with the Bangsamoro in the Philippines known as peace deal that would help end the 45-year conflict.
World History for the Month of January