What Happened In April 1864 In History
Historical Events for April, 1864
- 8th » American Civil War: Battle of Mansfield Union (American Civil War) called Union forces are thwarted by the Confederate States of America e.g Confederate army at Mansfield, Louisiana.
- 10th » Archduke maximilian I of Mexico known as Maximilian of Habsburg is proclaimed emperor of Mexico during the French intervention in Mexico.
- 12th » American Civil War: The Fort Pillow massacre: Confederate forces kill most of the African American soldiers that surrendered at Fort Pillow, Tennessee.
- 17th » American Civil War: The Battle of Plymouth (1864) named Battle of Plymouth begins – Confederate States of America or Confederate forces attack Plymouth, North Carolina.
- 18th » Battle of Dybbøl: A Kingdom of Prussia Prussian-Austrian Empire Austrian army defeats Denmark and gains control of Duchy of Schleswig Schleswig. Denmark surrenders the province in the following peace settlement.
- 22nd » The Congress of the United States called U.S. Congress passes the Coinage Act of 1864 that mandates that the inscription 'In God We Trust' be placed on all coins minted as United States currency.
- 29th » Theta Xi fraternity is founded at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, the only fraternity to be founded during the American Civil War.
Famous Birthdays on April in 1864
- 3rd » Emil Kellenberger, Swiss target shooter (d. 1943)
- 6th » William Bate Hardy, English biochemist (d. 1934)
- 8th » Carlos Deltour, French rower (d. 1920)
- 11th » Johanna Elberskirchen, German feminist (d. 1943)
- 18th » Richard Harding Davis, American journalist and author (d. 1916)
- 21st » Max Weber, German economist and sociologist (d. 1920)
- 30th » Jean, duc Decazes, French sailor (d. 1912)
- 30th » Juhan Liiv, Estonian poet and author (d. 1913)
Famous Deaths for April 1864
- 4th » Joseph Pitty Couthouy, American commander and paleontologist (b. 1808)
- 5th » Alaric Alexander Watts, English poet and journalist (b. 1797)
- 14th » Charles Lot Church, American-Canadian politician (b. 1777)
- 18th » Juris Alunāns, Latvian philologist (b. 1832)
Year 1864 events in history for the month of April
Historical events for the year 1864 by month