What Happened In March 1864 In History
Historical Events for March, 1864
- 11th » The Great Sheffield Flood kills 238 people in Sheffield, England.
- 12th » American Civil War: The Red River Campaign begins as a US Navy fleet of 13 Ironclads and 7 Gunboats and other support ships enter the Red River.
- 15th » American Civil War: The Red River Campaign : U.S. Navy fleet arrives at Alexandria, Louisiana.
- 16th » American Civil War: During the Red River Campaign, Union (American Civil War) known as Union troops reach Alexandria, Louisiana.
Famous Birthdays on March in 1864
- 4th » David W. Taylor, American architect and engineer (d. 1940)
- 12th » W. H. R. Rivers, English anthropologist, neurologist, ethnologist, and psychiatrist (d. 1922)
- 12th » Alice Tegnér, Swedish organist and composer (d. 1943)
- 13th » Alexej von Jawlensky, Russian painter (d. 1941)
- 15th » Johan Halvorsen, Norwegian violinist, composer, and conductor (Oslo Philharmonic) (d. 1935)
- 17th » Joseph Baptista, Indian politician and activist (d. 1930)
- 19th » Charles Marion Russell, American painter (d. 1926)
- 27th » Agostina Livia Pietrantoni, Italian nun and nurse (d. 1894)
- 30th » Franz Oppenheimer, German-American sociologist and economist (d. 1943)
Famous Deaths for March 1864
- 2nd » Ulric Dahlgren, American colonel (b. 1842)
- 4th » Thomas Starr King, American minister (b. 1824)
- 10th » Joseph Alfred Slade named Jack Slade, American stage coach (b. 1831)
- 27th » Jean-Jacques Ampère, French philologist (b. 1800)
- 30th » Louis Schindelmeisser, German clarinet player, composer, and conductor (b. 1811)
Year 1864 events in history for the month of March
Historical events for the year 1864 by month