What Happened In August 1864 In History
Historical Events for August, 1864
- 5th » American Civil War: The Battle of Mobile Bay begins at Mobile Bay near Mobile, Alabama, Admiral David Farragut leads a Union flotilla through Confederate defenses and seals one of the last major Southern ports.
- 17th » American Civil War: Battle of Gainesville – Confederate forces defeat Union troops near Gainesville, Florida.
- 18th » American Civil War: Battle of Globe Tavern – Union (American Civil War) e.g Union forces try to cut a vital Confederate States of America or Confederate supply-line into Petersburg, Virginia, by attacking the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad.
- 22nd » Twelve nations sign the First Geneva Conventions known as Geneva Convention.
- 23rd » The Union Navy Siege of Fort Morgan captures Fort Morgan (Alabama) Fort Morgan, Alabama, thus breaking Confederate States of America Confederate dominance of all ports on the Gulf of Mexico except Galveston, Texas.
- 31st » During the American Civil War, United States e.g Union forces led by General William T. Sherman launch an Battle of Jonesborough called assault on Atlanta, Georgia.
Famous Birthdays on August in 1864
- 23rd » Eleftherios Venizelos, Greek politician, 93rd Prime Minister of Greece (d. 1936)
- 26th » Anna Ulyanova, Russian politician (d. 1935)
- 27th » Hermann Weingärtner, German gymnast (d. 1919)
Famous Deaths for August 1864
- 7th » Li Xiucheng, Chinese general (b. 1823)
- 12th » Sakuma Shōzan, Japanese scholar and politician (b. 1811)
Year 1864 events in history for the month of August
Historical events for the year 1864 by month