What Happened In September 1864 In History
Historical Events for September, 1864
- 1st » American Civil War: the Confederate Army General John Bell Hood orders the evacuation of Atlanta, ending a four-month siege by General William Tecumseh Sherman.
- 2nd » American Civil War: Union forces enter Atlanta called Atlanta, Georgia, a day after the Confederate States of America e.g Confederate defenders flee the city, ending the Atlanta Campaign.
- 5th » François Achille Bazaine becomes Marshal of France.
- 7th » American Civil War: Atlanta, is evacuated on orders of Union (American Civil War) e.g Union General William Tecumseh Sherman.
Famous Birthdays on September in 1864
- 11th » Draga Mašin, Serbian wife of Alexander I of Serbia (d. 1903)
- 14th » Robert Cecil, 1st Viscount Cecil of Chelwood, English lawyer and politician, Under-Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs, Nobel Peace Prize e.g Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1958)
- 15th » Prince Sigismund of Prussia (1864–1866) known as Prince Sigismund of Prussia (d. 1866)
- 17th » James Tancred, English admiral (d. 1943)
- 19th » Ragna Wettergreen, Norwegian actress (d. 1958)
- 27th » Andrej Hlinka, Slovak priest and politician (d. 1938)
- 29th » Alexandra Kitchin, English model (d. 1925)
- 29th » Miguel de Unamuno, Spanish philosopher and author (d. 1936)
Famous Deaths for September 1864
- 4th » John Hunt Morgan, American general (b. 1825)
- 15th » John Hanning Speke, English soldier and explorer (b. 1827)
- 17th » Walter Savage Landor, English author and poet (b. 1775)
Year 1864 events in history for the month of September
Historical events for the year 1864 by month