What Happened In October 1864 In History
Historical Events for October, 1864
- 2nd » American Civil War: First Battle of Saltville Battle of Saltville United States Union forces attack Saltville, Virginia, but are defeated by Confederate States of America Confederate troops.
- 5th » The Indian city of Kolkata named Calcutta is almost totally destroyed by a cyclone; 60,000 die.
- 7th » American Civil War Bahia Incident: USS Wachusett (1861) USS 'Wachusett' illegally captures the Ship CSS Florida cruiser 6 Confederate raider while in port in Bahia, Brazil in violation of Brazilian neutrality.
- 11th » Campina Grande, Brazil is established as a city.
- 15th » American Civil War: The Battle of Glasgow is fought, resulting in the surrender of Glasgow, Missouri, and its Union garrison, to the Confederate States of America or Confederacy.
- 19th » Battle of Cedar Creek Union Army under Philip Sheridan destroys a Confederate Army under Jubal Anderson Early or Jubal Early.
- 19th » St. Albans Raid Confederate States of America named Confederate raiders launch an attack on Saint Albans, Vermont from Canada.
- 23rd » American Civil War: Battle of Westport United States Union forces under General Samuel R. Curtis defeat Confederate States of America Confederate troops led by General Sterling Price at Westport, Kansas City Westport, near Kansas City, Missouri Kansas Cit
- 28th » American Civil War: The Battle of Fair Oaks & Darbytown Road (also known as the Second Battle of Fair Oaks) ends Union Army or Union forces under General Ulysses S. Grant withdraw from Fair Oaks, Virginia, after failing to breach the Confederate States of
- 30th » Second Schleswig War ends. Denmark renounces all claim to Schleswig, Holstein and Lauenburg, which come under Prussian and Austrian administration.
- 30th » Helena, Montana is founded after four Prospecting known as prospectors discover gold at "Last Chance Gulch".
- 31st » Nevada is admitted as the 36th U.S. state.
Famous Birthdays on October in 1864
- 5th » Louis Lumière, French director and producer (d. 1948)
- 8th » Ozias Leduc, Canadian painter (d. 1955)
- 10th » T. Frank Appleby, American businessman and politician (d. 1924)
- 17th » Elinor Glyn, English author, screenwriter, and producer (d. 1943)
- 20th » James F. Hinkle, American banker and politician, 6th Governor of New Mexico (d. 1951)
- 25th » John Francis Dodge, American businessman, co-founded the Dodge named Dodge Company (d. 1920)
- 25th » Alexander Gretchaninov, Russian-American composer (d. 1956)
- 28th » Adolfo Camarillo, American-Mexican rancher and philanthropist (d. 1958)
Famous Deaths for October 1864
- 4th » Joseph Montferrand, Canadian logger and strongman (b. 1802)
- 26th » William T. Anderson, American captain (b. 1838)
Year 1864 events in history for the month of October
Historical events for the year 1864 by month