What Happened In June 1864 In History
Historical Events for June, 1864
- 3rd » American Civil War: Battle of Cold Harbor Union forces attack Confederate troops in Hanover County, Virginia.
- 5th » American Civil War: Battle of Piedmont: Union (American Civil War) Union forces under General David Hunter defeat a Confederate States of America Confederate army at Piedmont, Augusta County, Virginia Piedmont, Virginia, taking nearly 1,000 prisoners.
- 12th » American Civil War, Overland Campaign: Battle of Cold Harbor Ulysses S. Grant gives the Confederate forces under Robert E. Lee a victory when he pulls his Union troops from their positions at Cold Harbor, Virginia and moves south.
- 15th » American Civil War: The Second Battle of Petersburg begins.
- 15th » Arlington National Cemetery is established when convert 200 acre km² around Arlington Mansion (formerly owned by Confederate General Robert E. Lee) are officially set aside as a military cemetery by United States Secretary of War U.S. Secretary of War Edw
- 21st » American Civil War: The Battle of Jerusalem Plank Road begins.
- 21st » New Zealand land wars known as New Zealand Land Wars: The Tauranga Campaign ends.
- 30th » President of the United States or U.S. President Abraham Lincoln grants Yosemite Valley to California for "public use, resort and recreation".
Famous Birthdays on June in 1864
- 3rd » Otto Erich Hartleben, German poet and playwright (d. 1905)
- 3rd » Ransom E. Olds, American businessman, founded Oldsmobile and REO Motor Car Company (d. 1950)
- 11th » Richard Strauss, German composer and conductor (d. 1949)
- 12th » Frank Chapman (ornithologist) or Frank Chapman, American ornithologist (d. 1945)
- 13th » Rudolf Kjellén, Swedish political scientist and politician (d. 1922)
- 13th » Dwight B. Waldo, American historian and academic (d. 1939)
- 14th » Alois Alzheimer, German psychiatrist and neuropathologist (d. 1915)
- 21st » Heinrich Wölfflin, Swiss historian and critic (d. 1945)
- 22nd » Hermann Minkowski, German mathematician and academic (d. 1909)
- 25th » Walther Nernst, German chemist and physicist, Nobel Prize in chemistry named Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1941)
- 30th » Frederick Bligh Bond, English architect and archaeologist (d. 1945)
Famous Deaths for June 1864
- 1st » Hong Xiuquan, Chinese rebel, led the Taiping Rebellion (b. 1812)
Year 1864 events in history for the month of June
Historical events for the year 1864 by month